March 18, 2014

Debra: Scrap Quilt Idea

I'm really working through my stash this year.  Having help from my sewing group has done a lot to buoy up my enthusiasm.  Fabrics and ideas I thought I would never get to are seeing the light of day.

The other day while looking for plaids for the next group of firemen's quilts, I rediscovered a large bag of collars and cuffs cut off men's shirts.  I got these (free) from a lady on eBay who thought I could use them for something quilty or artsy.  I believe their 15 Minutes of Fame are about to happen.
Yesterday I sat and separated them into very workable piles.  It's pretty amazing how much fabric is actually in these piles.  I think I'll see if I can make a smaller version of this quilt as a wallhanging.  It would be good to get that idea out my mental file cabinet.



(Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55175434@N08/6442416541/in/photostream/)

13 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice, I love it!

Renata's arts and crafts said...

wow ... so great idea , love it I think I may attack my self all the big bags with close which do not fit the kids ( and me :( nearly double size ) . I may actually do something similar.
lovely thanks very much for sharing this brilliant idea , hope is OK to use it

Suztats said...

Will you call it your C&C quilt? I bet it will be fabulous with all the plaid history.I wonder how far back those pieces go......... It would definitely appeal to my DH-- he loves to wear the plaid bush shirts.......

desertskyquilts said...

Love the pattern. I'm going to have to use my plaid scraps unless someone gifts me with shirts, because the ones at the thrift stores here are ridiculously expensive - not even close to the $1 I hear about other places!

Debra Spincic said...

If you are looking for plaid, pillow cases and pillow shams are a good deal at thrift stores. They are still around $1-3 and have a serious amount of yardage on them; much more than a fat quarter.

I am only using these cuffs and collars because I have them. My goal this year is to weed out all the "oddball" stuff in my stash that is bulky, not colors I like or use, & weird prints that are taking up space.

Debra Spincic said...

Sure, it's not my original idea. It was sewn as a memorial quilt for a family.

Debra Spincic said...

The woman from whom I got these pieces sells plaid yoyo circles on eBay that she CUTS BY HAND. I have a huge stack of those too. Their 15 Minutes of Fame are quickly approaching too.

ladyhawthorne said...

As a friend of mine says, Cool Beans!

Barbara C said...

Great use for those collars. They should be nice to work with too, since they're likely to have interfacing that will give the pieces body.

Debra Spincic said...

As it turns out, they only have interfacing on one side of the collar or cuff. Some of them had a sew-in interfacing that fell out when the cuff or collar was taken apart.

Moira said...

Love that you're going to get a quilt out of what would normally get tossed out.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I sure love the shirting. I had to 'fess up' this week. Um honey? You're going to ITEMIZE our charitable? Don't count the clothing until just before it gets picked up, because I've been stealing your shirts! (followed by great silence!) GREAT idea found on flicker~

Cyra said...

A great recycling project. I think there is something magical about using up old shirts, that each have a history of their own already.