March 25, 2014

Debra: Men's Shirt Quilt

After a frustrating day yesterday trying to stitch the Baptist Fan with templates, I felt I had to stitch something I could handle successfully.  I have a sneaky feeling when I finish this quilt I won't want to give it away.




I learned recently from a new quilting friend that the leftover sheeting on rolls is called "butt rolls".
I bought this butt roll from the thrift store probably 5 years ago and have been steadily working it down. Like my own butt rolls, it just never seems to budge!
It's great for foundation piecing.


Most of yesterday was spent trying to understand and stitch the Baptist Fan.  I did improve by the evening but I still have a ways to go.  It's getting presentable (if stitched on very busy fabric) but nothing near where it could be with more practice.

It would be nice if my free motion skills transferred as easily to ruler or template work as I wanted it to do; but, it doesn't.  Just because I can do one with some proficiency, doesn't mean the other comes easily.  New muscle memory, working with specific shapes, measuring-it all works into the equation.  It reminds me of trying to stitch CQ seams freehand vs. template drawn; lots of similarities.  And, probably good to know how to stitch both.




14 comments:

Cyra said...

The plaid quilt will be a keeper for sure.
With the quilting patterns, are you doing these on the long-arm or the domestic? Are you standing or sitting?
Don't forget to BREATHE while you are free-motion quilting, lol. And relax your shoulders.
Free-motion quilting is the only sort of machine quilting I do (apart from hand quilting, of course). You are doing the right thing with practicing it. Your automatic movement memory should kick in soon, lol.

Debra Spincic said...

This quilting is done standing at the longarm.
I looked at it this morning when I took the picture and it's not as bad as I thought it was when I went to bed last night!

I thought the Baptist Fan might be a good "go to" design for some quilts. But, I clearly need to get better stitching it.

cq4fun said...

Hmm, I guess I forgot to hit send or something. My comment isn't here OR on your blog! Your fans look just fine to me, and things always look better later, don't they? Much better than mine would be!

Suztats said...

I see your plaid quilt, and am reminded of a production I once saw years ago :- "Forever Plaid" -- music from the 50's-60's era if memory serves. My Dad liked to wear plaid, as does DH. It's a memory plucker for sure.

ladyhawthorne said...

Yup, I can see you keeping the plaid quilt for sure! I think the fans look pretty good too.

Debra Spincic said...

I've had some time to stitch the fans freehand and a friend stopped who encouraged me to toss the rulers in the corner and get on with the freehand ones!

Judy S. said...

And blink often, especially if you wear contacts. Ask me how I know!

Judy S. said...

What a great combination of plaids. That quilt should be a really fun one. Suz gave you a good name for it!

Debra Spincic said...

Forever Plaid is a good name!

Barbara C said...

Yes, you're going to want to keep the plaid quilt. You have a great selection of colors there. I can't imagine the transition from freehand to ruler-guided quilting. It seems like it must be a whole new set of skills, yet your results are looking pretty good.

Cyra said...

Lol.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your Baptist Fans made great progress. I think I want BFs on my log cabin in progress. Dang, those shirtings....drool....!

Moira said...

the plaid quilt is coming along nicely. Love the idea of using the rolls of wallpaper...will have to look for one at teh 2nd hand store to use in the future.

Debra Spincic said...

Moira---that is fabric not wallpaper! It is cut off sheets when they are sewn.