March 11, 2014

Deborah: Book Sale Finds

Not much stitching on the CQ this week. I just wasn't feeling inspired and thought I'd give it a rest. I worked on the purple big 9-patch for Debra but no photos yet.

What I did last week was work at the library's book sale, helping set up. That was before I got the plague. In the process I managed to snag the following:



Full of emroidery techniques and instructions. Published 1936 by Hodder & Stoughton, London.


Great reference book. 

 n

Articles and illustrations from Mary Brooks Pickens' Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences, with a modern twist added each month.  The illustrations reprinted from the newsletter are so charming and when I saw them I thought it would be fun to scan, print, and use them in a CQ next year. Maybe.

I also got a book called Textile Fabrics and Their Selection by Isabel B. Wingate (A.B., M.S., no less), Associate professor of retaining, New York University School of Retailing; New York: Prentice-Hall, 1949.  A textbook, obviously, about various textiles and fabrics which I thought would be interesting to read.

Yesterday was my 64th birthday. Hard to believe I am this old. Although, 64 isn't old any more and I certainly do not feel OLD. I feel better physically and mentally, really, than I ever have.  Next year I can retire, technically. That takes some getting used to. I've worked since I was 14 years old so not having to do that will be a huge adjustment - if that's what I decide to do. Time goes by so quickly. 

Have a great week!




13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

There's always an advantage to "setting up a sale" and I can see you found them!

cq4fun said...

The Hall and Kretsinger book looks like it's in great shape! One of my favorites. As one who did, and early at 57, I say retire if you can afford it. We never know how much time we have. If Paul had waited until 65, he would never have retired. He died before he was 62. You have so many things you are interested in doing. Take the time to do them. Take time with family, or to travel to places you always hoped to see. If you find yourself bored, there are tons of places desperate for volunteers.

Moira said...

What fun to such nice books at the sale.

ladyhawthorne said...

Happy birthday, may God grant you many more!

Great haul on the books, vintage books are my favorite.

Cyra said...

Oh I love the vintage books. I can think of nothing better than leafing through those quaint pages in your retirement, lol. That's the beauty of retirement, you get to read all the books that you have in your collection that just haven't had time to read before.
Happy Birthday for yesterday. You are of a good vintage now too, lol.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes indeed. These books, plus a paperback and a huge Civil War Battle atlas, a reprint from a book published in the late 1800s (for my husband) all cost less than $10.00. The book sale itself brought in nearly $39,000 over 2 1/2 days.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes, they're all in good shape. I'll have lots of fun with these. I would retire today if it weren't for health insurance. My husband retired a year ago. It won't make all that much different in my pension. Work has become very frustrating lately and as you said, life is too short. I want to make one more big trip which will be about all I can afford; I can always volunteer at the library! LOL.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You'd be amazed at what we get as donations. We actually have two book sales per year and each time make around $35,000. It goes back into the library's budget.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes, like wine....

Suztats said...

Deborah, Happy Belated Birthday!!! What a score at the library! Wow!
I always say if you can afford to retire, do it! Pretty soon you'll wonder how you had any time for working a full time job! Which is nice, because it means your time is filled doing those things you want to do.

Judy S. said...

You've found some real treasures, Deborah! The Mary Thomas one looks especially inviting. Hope you had a fun birthday celebration, and best wishes for the year to come.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Happy Birthday! Ah yes, I'm looking forward to retirement too. 5 years for me...and I'm counting! Your library sale was quite fruitful, you really made some finds. Happy reading!

Barbara C said...

Happy Birthday! Your wonderful book finds were a nice present I'm sure. I'm thinking about retirement too (again). Too bad it's so hard to see into our future lives.