March 4, 2014

Cy ~ Week 9 Heart Quilt and more

This week I have been flitting between projects again, and even started a new one 
(oh no, another ufo started)

Update on the Straight From The Heart Quilt
Week 9

I auditioned some crocheted lace edging for around the Dresden plate.
Here it is, temporarily pinned in place, to see if I like it there ..... I do. So I shall carry on and crochet the rest to fit around the scalloped perimeter.


And these three free-form stitched "plus size inchies" (1.5ins) are surplus from a previous project, and have now made it onto this quilt.




There is a pink heart on the orange square.


I created the following crochet square for my Winter-Warmer project. 
We, here in New Zealand, have just gone in to Autumn, so I am expecting some cooler weather shortly.


Then, my most favourite denim skirt "bit-the-dust" through old age and wear and tear. I am too heartbroken to throw it out, so I lovingly started to upcycle it into a Boho style skirt.
The idea is to cover all the threadbare worn areas and holes with cutesy stitcheries.
The skirt originally had four tiers. I have cut off the bottom scraggy tier (it was too long anyway), and started covering the 2nd tier as the photos show here - rustic stitching, raw edges, uneven shapes, basic (or zero) embellishing.



Then I shall add lace to the 3rd tier, and attach a shorter gathered fabric strip in place of the bottom tier if it looks ok.

And while I was stitching the purple one on, I was thinking about turning my denim jacket into a Boho one to match the skirt, lol.

15 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

So happy you expanded the perimeters of your quilt idea. It's now going to be a bigger, better treasure! Really like the crocheted edging for the Dresden Plate block.

Susan said...

Each of your projects would be interesting all by itself. Together, what a lot of fun. That's just the kind of denim skirt I love, too. I have one, not gathered tiers, that's going to wear out, and I would miss it, too, so I'll have to start thinking about this!

Judy S. said...

What a fun way to save your skirt! I love the idea of a matching jacket, and am very interested in seeing what you winter-warmer is all about. Those inchies are very fun and can't wait to see how you fit them in to your quilt.

Suztats said...

Love the edging and your +inchies! What a marvelous way to add to the life of your denim skirt! I think you should do a matching jacket. It would be fabulous!

ladyhawthorne said...

OOh, the skirt project looks to be a great one! I just love all the creative things you do.

Barbara C said...

What a nice variety of projects. I love the embellishments you're making for your skirt, and I love recycled fashion.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I like your crocheted edge...are you still liking it? Hope so! BTW, a girl after my own heart...another project started, lol. The skirt is gonna be awesome!!! I keep looking at some of my plain T's...thinking...man, these are PLAIN!

Cyra said...

I'm really happy about the new direction this quilt is going in too. With the crochet lace I needed a lace that will take the curves of the scallops.

Cyra said...

Thanks Susan. Yes I am having fun with these projects.

Cyra said...

I must not start on Boho-ing the jacket until I finish the skirt, but I can see more fun things happening there.

Debra Spincic said...

The crocheted lace is a brilliant solution. Helps blend all of your textile loves in one piece.

Cyra said...

Pinterest has a lot to answer for. I even have my own Boho board now, lol.
Ahh, there's just too much inspiration out there.

Cyra said...

Thanks Angela.

Cyra said...

Thank you Barbara.

Cyra said...

Thanks Fitzy. Yes I am still liking the crochet edge and I've stitched about three quarter way round the dresden plate now. Almost done with that part. Onwards...