March 11, 2014

Angela ~ Front and Back of Quilt Completed

My cat Chaucer is posing with the quilt top and wondering why it took me so long to write all those names and dates.  He's also wondering how long will it be before it is finished so he can sleep on it!
This is the backing, a buttery yellow sheet I picked up second hand for $1.  I used the left over squares which were mostly doubles of the fabrics on the front and made strips.  Then I staggered the lengths with plain ends to be long enough.  Sorry you can't really see all the names in the pictures but they are there, in fact I have more names than quilt squares but I'm calling that part done.  The lady farthest back goes to about 560ad and there's a couple of saints in the list for good measure.  Gives me someone to look up to!

Next will be assembling the front, back and batting, I hope the thin old blanket I plan to use is large enough otherwise I'll be buying some batting or maybe some flannel to make it lightweight.  It was 93 degrees here today, not exactly quilt weather.  However it will be 31 tonight.

I did get a bit crafty the last 2 nights and put together this beaded necklace with a silver & turquoise cross.  It will be going up for sale in my Etsy shop.

And in the greenhouse I have lots of radishes sprouted as well as 1 lettuce and several beets.  Come on tomatoes, you need to catch up!

12 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

What a huge accomplishment! Gracious!

Lovely cross necklace too!

ladyhawthorne said...

Thanks, I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest and remembered I had this cross. And it only took me a couple minutes to find it!

Suztats said...

Fabulous Angela! Wow, all the way to 560 AD!
Nice necklace. That cross is a beauty.

Judy S. said...

That quilt is a true treasure! I'm not sure I'd let our cats near it; Chaucer must be much better behaved than Mocha and Ginger. I like the way you used turquoise beads to compliment the cross; it should sell quickly!

ladyhawthorne said...

Chaucer is pretty well behaved, the only thing he ever wants to claw is the rug and that's only when he doesn't think he gets enough attention.

ladyhawthorne said...

It was fairly easy to go that far back once I hit an illegitimate child of royalty. Of course that means I have to assume the history records are correct and there's no way to know for certain in some cases.

cq4fun said...

Congratulations on finishing the top! What a treasure for your family. I like what you did with the backing

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your backing idea was grand, you'll have this sandwiched in no time! And the jewelry...don't get me started. It's just beautiful...taking a look at your etsy NOW!

Barbara C said...

Your quilt is a wonder Angela. It will be a prized piece for sure. In your climate I'd seriously consider using a flannel sheet in lieu of batting. You might enjoy it more that way

ladyhawthorne said...

Exactly what I am thinking. I do enjoy my more traditional quilts for when the below freezing temps are here but I have a cabinet full of them.

Cyra said...

Angela, wow. What a lovely quilt combining vintage fabrics with historical facts on your ancestors. An amazing piece.
Love your backing desing too. That would even make a great quilt top on its own.

Moira said...

Love how you continue to incorporate the names on the back of the quilt as well as the front. I'm impressed that you have names going back to 560 AD. My family has been traced back a long ways, but not that far!