February 4, 2014

News from Barbara




My new book of poetry, Mexican Jenny and Other Poems, has recently been published by Anhinga Press.  The book was awarded the 2012 Philip Levine Prize.

The book features the story of a Colorado prostitute who in 1913 killed her abusive husband and then served time for murder.  Legend has it that while incarcerated Jenny made a crazy quilt from the clothes she had worn as as a sex worker.  The long narrative poem about Jenny addresses the question of what we can know about events of the past.

Mexican Jenny and Other Poems is available now from Anhinga Press and Amazon  The Ahninga page has a sample of the book and my artist’s statement for your perusal.  I feel a sense of accomplishment that I've found a way to fuse my textile work with my writing, and I'm very proud of this book.

In the interest of keeping it real, here's a new project:


57 inches wide, I'm crocheting this chevron afghan from a basket of complimentary stash yarns.  I'll keep going until it gets to hot and big for my lap.  I've still got a ways to go.

9 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Congrats on the book!
That afghan looks like it will be hot, as in warm Mexican colors. Perfect compliment to the book.

Cyra said...

Congratulations Barbara. A book in print. What a treat. What an achievement. Well done.
Love the crochet chevron blankie. Funny how variations of the colour red seems to be dominating most of us this year.

Moira said...

Congrats on the new book! That's a great achievement.

cq4fun said...

How exciting, Barbara. Book published is as real as it gets in my opinion! Wow, do they say nice things about you as a poet! Congratulations. Nice crochet piece, too.

Debra Spincic said...

I received an advanced copy of Barbara's book. I read it this weekend and I can assure you, it is worth buying and reading. She weaves a wonderful tale that includes many references to textiles. Her other poems tell about the struggles and triumphs of a Mexican family. Loved the book!

Suztats said...

That is fabulous news Barbara! Yay!! and congratulations!!
Your blankie looks hot! What is it with red this year? I dunno, but I like it.

QuiltingFitzy said...

How cool is that?! How wonderful it must feel! Fantastic for you, we're very proud!

Judy S. said...

Congratulations! And how fun to be acquainted with the author. I love the colors in your blanket, very appropriate!

kathy r said...

Oh my, when I joined this blog a couple of weeks ago, I did not know there were celebrities on this list.
I am very proud to belong to this group. Well done. Kathleen Mary