February 25, 2014

Moira - Triangles in progress

Took 4 attempts, but I was finally able to get a finished design that I liked for the setting triangles on my Am. Hero quilt that is in progress.   The first three sets of fans are shown at the right.     Not sure what I'm going to do with the failed attempts, but will think of something.   Susan N thinks that I should use the cream-on-cream one for a CQ block.  Small one will most likely end up on a quilted postcard.   Big one - who knows.   Might make more blades so that I have an extra block for an Am. Hero quilt at some point.

Final result for the fan's are shown below.    I really like how they turned out and how easy they were to do.   I see a Dresden plate quilt in my future.  Decisions made - cream-on-cream sashing, blue fans, and outer/final border to be made out of the focus print (the red small floral).  

Still to be decided - what color cornerstones (red or cream), what color for the dresden plate (gold or red), what color inner border (gold, red, blue or ?) or should I even do one, and do I add five more blocks to make it bigger and balance colors outs more (for example add in more solid or tone-on-tone reds into the blocks).   If I add more blocks, then it would have to be 5 more of the pieced blocks and two setting triangles to keep it in balance.   Am leaning towards making the blocks....but no firm decision.

In the meantime I have been thinking about what to do for the art challenge quilt I need to get going on...but need to work out some logistics before making any final decisions on it.   Do need to make a final commitment tho by the first of March.


12 comments:

Suztats said...

That's one beautiful Hero's quilt! I like your fans, too, and look forward to seeing more of them.

Debra Spincic said...

Your fans really change the look of the quilt. An interesting idea!

ladyhawthorne said...

Personally I would go for red in the corners, but a darker red so it doesn't scream at you "Hey look at me I'm a corner!" So far it looks fabulous!

cq4fun said...

No inner border other than more cream, I think. You're talking about between the fan blocks and the rest of the blocks? Definitely not another color added there.

Cyra said...

Lovely. I like the variety of blocks. What (and where) is the art quilt challenge about?

Moira said...

Will definitely be using cream between the blocks.

For an inner border I was thinking between the fan and corner blocks and the final outer border of the red print.

Moira said...

Information on the art quilt challenge can be found here -

http://www.stretchingartandtradition.org/

A couple of my past quilts that were submitted can be found at the following links -
http://www.stretchingartandtradition.org/SAT14/educate-1.html
http://www.stretchingartandtradition.org/SAT12/cofncrm1.html

Moira said...

Thanks! I'll try a dark red and see how I like it.

Moira said...

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to making more of the fans. =)

Moira said...

Thanks! These were what the quilt kept telling me it wanted....they are a first for me. Do have to admit that i like them.

Judy S. said...

Interesting the way the blue fans draw your (my?) eye around in a circle. Very nice prospective quilt! Glad you're saving the "practice" pieces as I know you'll find a use for them!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I have a dresden in my future too...far future (please)! I sure love the red, white & blue, I like the idea of dark red corners too.