February 11, 2014

Moira - One of those weeks

The past week has been one when I hopped from project to project.   Did a lot of work on getting commissioned fabric ready to go.   Ironed about 22 yds of fabric, and then cut out 13 scrub tops.   Next up for that ongoing project is ironing more fabric (flannels) and cutting out tops from them. 

Next up was me trying to do a little practice work for the art quilt that I need to have done in early summer this past week by printing something on fabric on my printer and failed miserably when my printer wouldn't feed the fabric.  =(   So I'm back to square one on what i'm going to do for that challenge.  Will have to stop and think about what I want to do now.

After trying to work with that I then pulled out a long time project (at least 4-5 yrs old and aging) to see if I could get at least get the top together.   This was a block robin that I had participated in with a group of online friends.  My starting block was the cross-stitch piece in the top center.     I first sewed the bright pink/turquoise blue half-sq blocks around the appliqued block in the bottom right corner.   Took me three times to get it done.   And then after getting done I'm not sure that I like it because the pink and blue are much brighter and more intense than the other colors.   I should have listened to the triangles when they were fighting me on going on the block.  (note: the picture does not show how bright these really are compared to the other colors.)  So they will be coming off.  And I'm also probably not going to use the star either for the same reason.   Having decided that I put everything back up until I can figure out what to make to fill in the spaces - and ohio star will probably be one of the blocks, a second and/or third block haven't decided yet.


I was successful though in getting another set of the challenge blocks together for Sunshine Quilts.    So at lease something went right.  =) 


11 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I'm not having a problem with the turquoise and pink, especially if you add more in subsequent rows and maybe as the border. They help break up the medium values of all the other fabrics.

Moira said...

I don't have anymore of the turquoise because it was added by someone else. I might be able to find something else that would be about the same though.

And while think of it - would you email me info about Family Promise quilts?

cq4fun said...

You already know what I think. =) Back when you were piecing and I was quilting 'em, I would have loved doing the one you made with Claire's blocks! You will come up with something great for the others, I'm sure of it.

Cyra said...

Loving your Sunshine star quilt. There are so many underlying design patterns there that it really is a pleasure to study it.

I am in agreement with Debra about the turquoise and pink, if you can find similar fabrics to match, they would balance out better.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'll third Debra's notion about adding more turquoise & pink. Doesn't need to be the same fabric, just similar colors.

That blue & yellow quilt is stunning!

Judy S. said...

I cast my vote with the others regarding the turquoise and pink. Love the Magi theme, too. The sunshine quilt is very nice also; I like the way you did the center!

Suztats said...

Your blue and yellow quilt is beautiful!
As I'm not a quilter, I bow to the expertise of the ladies who are more knowledgeable than I.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Sure do love that blue and yellow together. It's always a classic.

Barbara C said...

Your yellow quilt is gorgeous. I've got a long-range project using kit embroideries in a quilt, so I'm curious to see how you're going to finish the first top.

kathy r said...

I agree with the others about adding more turquoise and pink. You have a wonderful start on a great quilt.

kathy r said...

I agree with the others about adding more turquoise and pink. You have a wonderful start on a great quilt.