February 4, 2014

Fitzy ~ Running out of excuses

Debra was kind enough to send me a box full of lovelies, and I now find myself running out of excuses! I've now a wonderful assortment of fabrics, ribbons, threads, needles and fanciful bits and beads. I've only to sew a darned block now. Frankly, I'm scared to death. What goes where, no pattern...all intention. I DO know that nothing is "wrong" and it's up to my own artistic design...ARGH!!!! Remember back to when you started, what were your first steps to block construction?

I've started a sampler of sorts, I wanted to get used to the different types of threads and which were the appropriate needles for a particular type of thread. I'll keep exploring stitches, using various stitch dictionaries. The sampler has no rhyme or reason, and obviously no direction. I'm having a bit of fun with it.

I've already added many more stitches since taking the photo early Sunday morning.

I've a finish to share. Yes, finally. My mug rug, for a swap I joined, is finished. I'm quite pleased, even if it is a little over the top! Kind of sorry it wasn't going to sit on MY desk! The recipient loved it, so I call it "a job well done". Finished size is 6"hx9"w.

My goal next week is ONE neked block.

9 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

What size is your intended crazy quilt block?

A very general rule of thumb: size = number of pieces.
A 6" block would have about 6 pieces. So, lay out 6 pieces of fabric you like and sew them onto a foundation square. Start stitching with 2-3 easy embroidery stitches you know without looking for directions. Now you've started!

Judy S. said...

Interesting rule, Deborah. I'd not heard it. Thanks!

Judy S. said...

Love your mug rug, Fitzy! My favorite is the bee hexie flower. How many hours do you figure you spent on this? A bunch, I'll bet.

Barbara C said...

You can do it! Let's see a naked block. They are great surfaces to experiment and sample stitches and thread.

ladyhawthorne said...

The hexie mug rug is wonderful, I didn't realize it was so small.
Just jump in to make your block, if you don't like it you can start over.

QuiltingFitzy said...

The time to complete the mug rug is hard to calculate. Time is given in such short snippets for me...on the bus to work-20min; 15min morning break; 30min lunch; 15min afternoon break; ride home-20min. That all can be utilized if I'm smart...AND I remember to take a break during work! I've worked on it pretty steadily for 2 weeks, and I generally do not stitch after work in the evenings (results are less than stellar). Thank you all.

Moira said...

Love the finished mug rug!

Suztats said...

What a nice mug rug! Love the ladybug! Such a lot of work involved, but it's a hit!
If you're nervous about beginning your CQ block, here's a few tutorials:
https://www.google.com/search?q=flip+and+stitch+method+for+CQ&oq=flip+and+stitch+method+for+CQ&aqs=chrome..69i57.10079j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.loopylace.com/crazyquiltstudio/lessons/piecing.htm

http://cqmagonline.com/vol06iss04/articles/742/index.shtml

http://www.cqmagonline.com/vol03iss02/articles/art284/index.shtml
Hope these are helpful. ;-)

kathy r said...

if the person you were making it for decides they don't want it, it can find a home at my house.
Kathleen Mary