February 11, 2014

Debra: Scrap Quilt

I fell off the wagon this weekend on my "Weekends are for my Personal Projects" New Year's Resolution.  I piddled around with a bit of this and that and in the end, I started cutting 5" charm squares from some '90s decorator samples I've had for a very long time; like, girl, since the '90s.

What happened next is what I call the Tumbleweed Effect.  I've committed to a bazillion large quilts for the county's firehouses.  The minute I did that, I realized I would be working with predominantly male suitable fabrics.  It's forced me to pull out solids that have been waiting for their 15 Minutes of Fame for years & to look at every piece of stinking fabric and decide if it is masculine or feminine.  I'm not going to lie--if the floral is abstract, geometric, small & muted, it's going into the quilts.  Even the big splashy florals begin to lose their characteristics when cut into smaller pieces.

That brought me to the tub of decorator prints.  I pulled the dark murky ones and when I cut them, they lost their distinct floral shapes & became strokes of paint, so to speak.  Encouraged by that discovery, I decided to cut the light background samples too.  Immediately I knew I liked what I was seeing.  Enough that I believe I will be sewing this top for myself to keep; for me-something I rarely do.

So, I did work on the resolution of sorts. I just didn't finish any old UFOs.  But, really, I have had a very good string of finishes since January so one weekend won't throw me off my game, said every woman always.

I am less and less interested in complex quilt patterns.  It seems the basic shapes that let the fabric work harder appeal to me and suit my stash better.  Once I realized that, I've been much happier pulling and using fabrics.  The "fret" is over.

I'm digging the contrast here--the crosses will be dark turquoises, browns, reds cut from regular cottons.  The corners are the decorator prints.  Some times it is hard to blend different eras of fabric, such as mauve, but these seem to be working pretty well together.






16 comments:

Suztats said...

What a fabric stash you must have, Debra! Loving these splashes of turquoise, and the fabric choices! A nice contrast with the lights and darks.

Debra Spincic said...

I'm not going to lie--I have a huge fabric stash. Most of it is thrifted or gifted or gotten cheaply. I haven't purchased fabric in a regular fabric store in about 6 years.

In this picture, the decorator samples were free, the dark red was cut from a thrifted shower curtain, the turquoise was just given to me (as kid's clothing cutaways) and the brown floral was a FQ from a FQ swap about 7 years ago on about.com

I like that my stash has history & some pieces had a prior life. I think it gives the quilts some character (even if I am the only one who knows the story!).

Moira said...

It's looking great! I like how the prints are working together.

cq4fun said...

That's a different way to look at one's stash - feminine or masculine fabrics. Could cause a completely different stash organization! Your idea seems to blend with the current movement away from traditional thinking. A lot of lovely colors there to work into tops together. I'm glad you're making this for you!

Debra Spincic said...

I think it is an idea born out of necessity. Having to come up with so many masculine quilts will force me to really look at fabric & maybe change my idea of what is masculine vs. feminine.

For instance, I don't (currently) view white as a very masculine color (for quilts) yet men's business shirts generally are white and a color (blue) striped. So is a blue and white quilt masculine? Normally, I would say probably not; but, it could be. Add a bit of red and then it becomes patriotic.

It's an interesting study of preconceived ideas about fabrics. Ones I probably need to break.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I am loving the purple quilt I've been putting together to give you that I now want one for myself. I am sure its not masculine enough for the firemen but I'm sure you can put it to use!

Debra Spincic said...

How about if I quilt it for you? You've been so good to work on the tops through the years. I would love for you to have it.

Cyra said...

Great fabrics, and a lovely easy design, makes for a cherished quilt. Even if it is YOU who cherishes is, that is all good.
Every quilt has a story, and some have an epic novel that could be written about the fabrics therein. I love stories.

ladyhawthorne said...

These look great! There are a lot of men that like flowers, just maybe not frilly ones.

Debra Spincic said...

When the sewing group finished the 1st firemen's quilt I asked Wes if it had too many florals. His response: they were probably more sensitive than he was!
Tropical flowers he likes but girly flowers, nada.

Judy S. said...

You sure blog are a master at working your stash. I love this one! The colors are perfect.

Barbara C said...

That's gorgeous, I'd keep it too.

Debra Spincic said...

:-)), lots of practice working that stash!

Debra Spincic said...

I need to clear off my design wall so I can place the squares carefully. I want to take my time sewing this one. The fabric has waited long enough!

kathy r said...

It is great to keep something for yourself. I do the same thing and normally give everything away.

QuiltingFitzy said...

The firemen are gonna love your work, no matter what! I cannot begin to fathom the size of your stash! lol Maybe the blocks could be bricks instead, so the pattern wouldn't sing so loudly?