February 25, 2014

Debra: Decorator Quilt/Throw

Recently I was given some decorator samples. They prompted me to revisit the "other" part of my fabric stash that I don't sew on a daily basis.  It is filled with gifted fabrics and more samples.

With an upcoming auction for the American Cancer Society scheduled, I decided that was a good opportunity to sew some throws to add to the silent auction.



I've been thinking of different ways to use the samples without cutting them into smaller pieces.  My intent was to use them as large as I could.  When I finally measured most of them, the largest size that worked was 10½" inches.  I like working with a 10" size; makes the math easy!  I designed the throw with 10" solid blocks and 10" pieced blocks from the scraps and smaller samples.

Right now it is 50 x 70 and when I add a border, I expect it will finish at 58 x 78 inches.  I have a taupe lattice printed linen (gifted) that I will be using for the backing.  I'll be machine quilting with a straight line.  It's going to be fun to see the threads and the stitch on each of the fabrics.








11 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice work!

Suztats said...

OMG! I want to have a stash like yours when I grow up!
So many pretty fabrics in this piece, and I really like how the leaves on brown is repeated and ties it all together. Warm, comforting colours.

Debra Spincic said...

Once the word gets out that you collect fabric, lots of it arrives! At least 50% of this was gifted to me. (Some by Angela)

ladyhawthorne said...

I see fabrics I recognize! So glad they have found a good use. Simple design but it really looks complicated at first glance. Very elegant too.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Very dramatic!

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, I used the velvet you gave me. Now I remember why I don't like velvet! Crawls something fierce.

cq4fun said...

I like that there's no particular pattern, because it makes the pieced blocks a nice suprise.

Cyra said...

Overall it is a pleasing design. A great mixture of textures in these fabrics. Should do well in the auction. Good job Debra.

Debra Spincic said...

I'll follow up when the top is quilted.

Moira said...

Nice mixture of prints and textures. Hope it goes for a nice amount in the silent auction.

QuiltingFitzy said...

An interesting use of fabrics, lines, and color. Will finish up lovely and earn a nice donation! Good work.