February 4, 2014

Debra: 2 Wallhangings

It's been a rough week. One of my sons' friends took his life and that sent all of us into a tailspin. My son was particularly upset since he lost his own brother (accidental death) and felt like this young man was a brother too. In my own grief recovery, I learned that one death will trigger past deaths so I could see clearly that the group of young men gathered at the church this weekend were all struggling with multiple layers of grief.

Later when I walked into my studio, this piece immediately told me how to finish it.  The fading leaf represented those who have died. The chaos surrounded by the upright squares spoke to me of the group of friends.  Intertwining quilting lines suggest the bond we all share with each other.

I'll keep Passing Through in my personal collection as a memorial piece for my friend, Jason.


Passing Through
38 x 49 inches
Mixed Fabrics and Techniques
Cottons, Rayon, Silks
Painted, Stamped, Machine embroidered, Machine quilted

Dedicated to Jason Pisio
(1981-2014)





One final tweaking of the blocks and I was ready to quilt this wallhanging (below).  Binding later today.

 I am thrilled! 


Waiting on Spring

I wanted the vertical lines of quilting to subtly represent the shoots of plants waiting to erupt out of the dark ground in spring.  I love all the stitching on the various fabrics.  It's always exciting to see how fabrics will respond to thread & stitching.







13 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

I really like the "Spring" piece, it is very representational of gardening plots. Gardening in the desert, takes quite the effort, and constant maintenance...so I just dream.

cq4fun said...

Two wonderful finishes, under not so great circumstances. I'm so sorry for the loss of your son's friend, and yours, too, it seems. A wonderful tribute to him.

Suztats said...

Debra, I am so sorry that you and your family have lost a friend. I hope finishing this memorial piece helped you to deal with your grief. It's a beautiful piece.
I love "Waiting On Spring"! (I know that feeling well) I can't wait to get outside and dig in the soil, watching plants burst forth (well, once all the snow melts, and things warm up, that is.. ;-) )

ladyhawthorne said...

Oh, WOW! Two very special and fantastic pieces!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

It's always such a pleasant surprise to see how quilting pulls everything together. suicide is so tragic, even more so in one so young. Your quilt is a beautiful tribute.

Cyra said...

A wonderful tribute to your family friend. Thank you for the close-up shots, I can now see how those colours work well together.

The colours in Waiting on Spring are refreshing.

Debra Spincic said...

Discovering I can machine quilt wall hangings I originally thought I could only embroider has really freed me to finish them.

Thank you for your condolences and your kind comments.

Moira said...

What a beautiful tribute to your young friend. Both wallhangings are beautiful!

Judy S. said...

Both of your quilts are beautiful, one honoring a life, one too soon gone and the other just beginning. It's wonderful that art and music exist and allow us to express our feelings in times of sorrow and joy. Your machine quilting on both pieces is exquisite! How did you do the cross hatching on the back below the leaf? It almost looks like a bead at each of the intersections. I'm so sorry about your family friend and sending big hugs to all of you.

Debra Spincic said...

The crosshatching was stitched on the embroidery machine. It is basically Xs lined up to look like screening. At one time I was playing with the idea of using the alphabet for motifs--I'll return to that idea again.

Thank you Judy.

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you Moira!

Barbara C said...

These are both beautiful quilts, but the first one is so remarkable in its calm dignity.

kathy r said...

I am sorry for your loss. This quilt is a wonderful tribute to him. I hope your week will be filled with peace.
Kathleen Mary