February 4, 2014

Angela ~ Names Added to the Journey Through Time Quilt Top

I've started adding the names of the women in my ancestry to the plain off-white squares of the quilt top.
(click on the photos to enlarge it)
I started with myself, my Mom and my 2 grandmothers in the 4 center squares as seen above.
Then I just started branching out in no set pattern.
I experimented with printing and cursive styles before I did any on the quilt top and settled on my usual printing with my more cursive capital letters.  I rather like the inconsistencies.
I'm about halfway done with the squares.  As you can see, my ancestors are from all over the place.  Great Aunt Sallie Greer is the only woman that is not a direct line, she was my great grandmother's sister who never married and I have a quilt top she made from feed sacks that is more holes than not.

I'm hoping to have the names part done by next week.

11 comments:

Cyra said...

A real treasure quilt. Great to see all the fabrics in the close-up photos too.

cq4fun said...

How exciting to see this! How far back can you go?

Debra Spincic said...

Cool and especially since I recognize many of the fabrics!

Suztats said...

What a fabulous family record. How many generations will you be able to fit on your quilt?

QuiltingFitzy said...

WOW! This represents LOTS of work (and research)! Way to go!

Judy S. said...

I love it, Angela. It was an awesome quilt before you added the names, and now it's a family treasure! Good work!

Barbara C said...

Beautiful work Angela, this quilt is a real treasure. What a wonderful record for you and your family.

ladyhawthorne said...

According to online resources one line will go back to around 800ad. Most lines that I can trace to Europe will get lost in the middle ages as there was not so much documentation and no 'real' surnames. Once the line goes beyond the US I can't actually do the tracing since I am not a world traveler and only speak English, I have to rely on others' work.

ladyhawthorne said...

Not sure yet on how many generations, a lot of the female lines end and there are only records for the men. Those you see listed with first name, dash, surname, I don't have the maiden name so that line ends.

ladyhawthorne said...

Almost 30 years of genealogy. Be careful it IS addicting.

kathy r said...

This is a wonderful idea. congratulations on your work. Kathleen Mary