January 21, 2014

Suz:- Making Progress

After a late start, I made some progress on my tree skirt for CQJP 2014, and cut, sewed, and shaped the muslin. Since our tree is quite full, I decided to create an oblong skirt rather than a smaller circle.
To keep as full a skirt as possible, I chose to cut the skirt fabric into 4 sections, even though it meant that these larger pieces would be more difficult to handle.

the first section of the skirt is pieced
 lace additions
 the second and third sections were also pieced, and strips of red velvet ribbon were placed to delineate each portion
lace and trims were added to sections 2 and 3


Now I'm ready to add some stitching to section 1!













TIAS after day 4 created a complete little piece

 and day 5 saw the beginnings of another shape...........

It's day 6 so my needle and thread are ready and waiting! I wonder what we're tatting.......


That's all I can show for this week.

I hope you've had time for some creative fun!

Hugs from Suz
 

14 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

You are off to a roarin' good start on the tree skirt. Not sure about those very dark patches--what are your plans for them?

Suztats said...

One is black with red stars, and the other is a green on green fabric which didn't show up very well. I wanted some bits of dark to help anchor the skirt, and felt these pieces would show up the white tatted, or stitched, snowflakes very well.

ladyhawthorne said...

Looking great on that tree skirt!
I love the blue fabric and your tatted pieces!

Suztats said...

Thanks Lady H! The blue fabric is the pretty batik I used in the needlecase.

Debra Spincic said...

Gotcha!

Cyra said...

Progress on this is good. Christmas reds are great. Lots of interesting areas to stitch on, and I like the addition of those bits of dark fabric.
TIAS is looking more and more interesting.

Moira said...

Progress on the tatting is looking great. Love the thread you're using.

Great start on the tree skirt!

cq4fun said...

Love the color of that tatting thread. The laces added to the tree skirt really jazz it up, don't they? Is that snowflake one of Debra's embroideries? This is going to be very pretty. Can't wait to see some stitching!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love the tatting thread too! I'm a cobalt collector, I'm always leaning toward BLUE! You're making great progress on the Christmas skirt.

Judy S. said...

Love that poinsettia fabric! Your tree skirt is going to be very nice. I also love your tatting; looks like I need to go find the post on what TIAS means.

Suztats said...

Thanks Cy! I'm already behind on the tatting, though. Need a swift kick in the butt........

Suztats said...

Moira the thread is Lizbeth thread, size 40, colour #122. (Handy Hands) Thanks.

Suztats said...

There are 3 of Debra's snowflakes so far- 1 per section, two are white and the larger is in metallic thread and very sparkly.

Suztats said...

Thanks Fitzy!