January 28, 2014

Suz- January Ends

As January comes to an end, I realize I'm still behind on my tree skirt.

This layered tat was added over a poinsettia flower
french knots all along this edging

and 1 lonely cast-on stitch was added (more to come)

and that's all the progress I made on this first portion of the first quarter piece












I did, however, finish piecing the second quarter of the skirt



It's ready for stitching......whenever I get that far ....lol



There was other stitching for StitchMAP which I can't show just yet......

We've just received our first pdfs for our HEX LABS ( this will be a year-long project with a choice of 3 designs each month to stitch on a hex piece. Minimum is 1 choice/month.) so I shall also post my progress on the HEX LABS stitching.

Here's the second piece of the TIAS as of day 8. I still don't know what it will be, but I'm having fun trying to solve the puzzle.
Do you have a guess, too?

We've had more snow and blowing winds, and unseasonably cold temperatures. You can see more about that here. It's a good excuse reason to stay indoors and stitch!

I hope you've had some time for creating this week.
Hugs from Suz

17 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Your lovely layered tatted piece doesn't show well on the poinsettia fabric. Would you consider moving it to a plain fabric background? It seems so special; like it should be a featured motif on a patch.

ladyhawthorne said...

Actually I think if it had a white edging around it or underneath it it would show beautifully.

I'm thinking the mystery piece is beginning to look like a butterfly.

cq4fun said...

I love the idea of the french knots on the ribbon eyelet. Great idea. You are working on so many wonderful things. I haven't the faintest idea what that tatted piece will be at the end.

Cyra said...

Tree skirt is coming on a treat now. Any progress is good. Love all the tatted pieces. Apart from a butterfly (as mentioned above) I can't think what else the mystery piece is though.

Suztats said...

Debra, since it's not really part of the skirt theme of snowflakes, I hadn't planned on this tat being a focal point. Rather, I wanted to almost hide it among the poinsettias so it could be magically discovered.....

Suztats said...

True, Angela, but I didn't really want this piece to stand out (see above).
Hmmm, a butterfly.......we'll see, I guess.

Suztats said...

Me, either. First piece I guessed it was a circus clown holding a helium balloon, and on this, I thought it might be gorilla legs upside down.......until we got the last day's 'bit' to tat.........

Suztats said...

I'm stumped, too. Thanks.

Debra Spincic said...

I doesn't deserve to be hidden; snowflake theme or not!

Moira said...

Love your tatting and how teh skirt is taking shape.

kathy r said...

This layered tat was added over a poinsettia flower. did tat this. it is beautiful. i would not hide it.
if i could tat i would be very proud of it.
kathleen mary

Suztats said...

Thanks Moira!

Suztats said...

Since I'll be tatting lots of white snowflakes for the tree skirt, I wanted to add some red tats for texture, too. Since they're not part of the theme for the skirt, I didn't want them to stand out, but to meld into the background. There will be more red tats placed quietly, but the white snowflakes will dominate and stand out more. I didn't want these elements to war with one another on the skirt, so I made the decision to keep the red ones more in the background. Every tat can't be the primadonna, right? The white tatted snowflakes, I hope, will enhance the beautiful white and silver machine embroidered snowflakes Debra made for me. I think if I had red tats in prime locations, they would try to take the attention away from the white ones. Thanks.

Debra Spincic said...

Maybe next week you can dummy up some areas with the white tatted snowflakes so we can see what you are envisioning.

Suztats said...

Okay, I'll do that. thanks

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm envious of your tatting, you do such a nice job! I'm enjoying watching the development on the skirt, good progress.

Suztats said...

Thank you, Fitzy! (I have an intro tutorial to basic needle tatting in the archives if you're interested) I'm trying to find more time for skirt stitching.