January 7, 2014

Suz- 2014 Beginnings

Hi everyone. Hope you're all warm and cozy. We are in an Arctic Vortex here, which means the cold arctic air is flowing down into Ontario. Last night it dipped to -28C, and with the wind chill factor it feels like in the -40's. Brrr.
I ventured out to feed the birds, but I plan to spend as much time indoors as possible! Maybe I'll stitch.............
Yesterday there was a little blizzard in my mailbox. That's because the gorgeous snowflakes Debra embroidered for me arrived. Yay! Now I can begin to plan my tree skirt around the snowflakes.


Aren't these just wonderful?
Thanks so much, Debra!
I love the white against the red fabric-- so crisp
Debra sent some beautiful metallic snowflakes, too. They really sparkle, but it's difficult to see on the photo.
I've only shown you a few of the snowflakes.......

here's my pile of cottons for the skirt-- mostly red and white with maybe a bit of green thrown in, too. I'm not sure about that yet.
some small pieces of fancy red fabrics might also be included
so I went through my stash to see just what might be appropriate for embellishing the tree skirt
 yah, more stash......... I told you I'm a thread junkie, didn't I?  lol
oh, yes, and a bead junkie, too, though I haven't gone through my bead stash yet..........


So all this is packed into a shoe tote.
I usually place each project's supplies in its own tote so I can keep them at hand.
This piece is still hanging around, and I've almost finished the second attempt at a tatted border.

I decided I didn't like the way the thread was behaving......I'd used a vintage thread, and I don't like how it tats up......it seemed fine while tatting, but not when I was sewing it to the mat. hmmmm

It's going to come off! (again)
As it's a gift for a friend, I can't send it if I'm not happy with it..... sigh.

I'll have to decide what to do instead of the tatting and get this project done.

I haven't been idle, though, while waiting for my snowflakes to arrive...........I've begun tatting snowflakes, and.........
 I've been stitching ..........shhhh, it's a secret!

I've also begun Jane E's TIAS -- Tat It And See. Here's day 1 of the pattern. Jane releases it in bits and pieces and tatters around the world tat it up and try to guess just what the pattern will be. It's my first time doing the TIAS, and it should be lots of fun!




I hope you've had a good creative week.

Thanks
Hugs from Suz

22 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Those metallic snowflakes are really pretty in the picture. They will catch the lights from your tree magnificently! It will be fun to watch you sew up a snowstorm!

Sweet little tatted whatever it is!

Debra Spincic said...

P.S. If you get into your project and need more snowflakes, just ask! I have a few more I could send you.

Suztats said...

Okay, thanks Debra! You're the Best!

ladyhawthorne said...

I think we will all be jealous of the snowflake tree skirt!

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Suztats said...

;-))

Barbara C said...

You really have some nice materials to work with. Your tree skirt is going to be scrumptious.

Moira said...

Love the snowflakes that Debra made for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your tree skirt take shape. =)

Debra Spincic said...

It was difficult for me to stuff those snowflakes into the envelope and send it!

cq4fun said...

The good part is, you can make more!

cq4fun said...

I look forward to following your tree skirt project. I think it's going to be amazing!

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, that's a bonus!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm already envious of your tree skirt! I can see I've much to learn, so this will be a close study for me.

Suztats said...

I'll be learning as I go, Fitzy, so we can learn together!

Debra Spincic said...

Fitzy, do not listen to that! Suz is quite accomplished!

Suztats said...

You say the nicest things, Debra!
But it's my first time doing a tree skirt, so I'll be learning that, as there's lots of math involved in making the pattern work.. ;-) ..... and my fist time incorporating machine embroidery as a vital and major focus of the design- so I'm learning that.(hmmm, lots of math there, too)... ;-) ....so it's not quite as easy as just flip and stitching a square.........as I have to allow for the curve of the opening around the tree base, as well as the curve of the outer skirt.......and decide if I want a closure on the skirt, and what type, and plan for incorporating it into the design......hhmmmm, maybe I should just do another wall hanging...lol!

Suztats said...

I don't doubt it, Debra. They are so gorgeous.

Suztats said...

I hope it works out. I'm just trying to do the math for the patterns..... :@...lol

Debra Spincic said...

I told you the easy way is to make a big square and then cut it into a circle.

Suztats said...

You did? I must have missed that. Sounds like a great idea! Thanks.
Now where did I put my muslin?

Hugs

Cyra said...

Love those snowflakes. Amazing what a creative mind can do. I have a tree shirt that I made with five diamonds stitched together and that was a load of math to work out too as the outer edge of the diamond has to be larger than the inner part to get it to curve properly.
Love the tias idea. Please show us more as it grows.

Suztats said...

diamonds? I think that would be a math headache for sure! lol
I'll update the TIAS each week. Thanks