January 7, 2014

Susan: CQJP2014

It's 2014! Do I have anything stitched? No, not yet. Today, I will be making my first new Moms block since January 26, 2011, when I finished Allie's mother's block. Hard to imagine it's been three years! In 2012, I didn't know I could make new blocks on an old project, so I started the Fairy Quilt. In 2013, I still didn't know, so I started the War Posters quilt. But this year, I know! I think the first one I'm going to do this year is my own mother. By the end of the year, I will have 18 blocks, but that isn't all there are, so I will probably continue into 2015. At this point, I plan to do two quilts, and my mother and my aunt will be in both of them. Here are some of the mothers already finished.


Ati's grandmother at 18


Elle's Mother


Pat G.'s mother

You can see these are very different from either of the last two projects. When I began, toward the end of 2007, I asked friends to send face pictures of a significant woman in their lives, taken somewhere between 18 and 25. I was amazed at the people who sent photos. Some sent more than one. Some sent wedding pictures and a few sent little girl pictures. There is a wedding photo quilt in my future, should I live long enough. Mothers came in, grandmothers, aunts, great-grandmothers and aunts. Most of them I know very little about, but Ati sent 3 more photos of her grandparents, and their home, buttons from her grandmother's sewing box, and pieces of crochet she had done. I incorporated those things into her mother's block. I thought it would be nice to have a book to go along with the blocks, but most people didn't send any information.

Some of the other blocks I'll do the next two years are Pat Winter's mother, my friend Candi's aunt, Charlene's mother, several of Deb Geyer's relatives, and several of Jane Bennett's, Karrin Hurd's grandmothers and aunt, Pam Kellogg's grandmother, my friend Fran's mother, and still others. If you have a similar picture of a significant woman in your life that you would like to scan and send, I'm more than happy to include them. If not, I'm also including a picture I purchased at an antique store in Mesa, AZ. It was in a bin of old family photos - a huge bin of abandoned and forgotten memories. I rescued this one to stand for all the women in our lives who have influenced us and who remain nameless except in our hearts.


Unknown Woman

14 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

So happy to see this quilt again! It's absolutely my favorite of your work. I will be watching with admiring eyes.

ladyhawthorne said...

Just gorgeous, can't wait to see more!

Suztats said...

This will be a fabulous quilt! I love the palette, and will send you a couple of photos.

cq4fun said...

Yay! Thank you!

Debra Spincic said...

Do you still need pictures?

I have trims I can give you, if you need any.

Barbara C said...

I love the idea behind your project, and the blocks you've done so far are understated and heartfelt. Beautiful work!

cq4fun said...

I have an entire box of laces, but if you have relatives you'd like to send, I'll take 'em! Suztats sent some this afternoon, and her mom's wedding picture with her best friend is just priceless. I'm gonna have to go there, I know, but this one first. You need it for your book. =)

cq4fun said...

You ladies are the best friends a stitcher could have. Thanks for your positive feedback and encouragement!

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks for the reminder. I better get busy writing that book soon!

cq4fun said...

Well, not too soon! Give me a year. =)

Debra Spincic said...

You can see I had already forgotten I was going to write a book!

QuiltingFitzy said...

These family blocks bring a tear to my eye. I can just imagine the day dreaming that occurs as you stitch, thinking about the women you are honoring...*sigh*. The color pallet is divine. Thank you for sharing with us.

Cyra said...

This is going to be a fabulous historical record of loved ones. Truly a great theme for a quilt, and done in the muted neutral colour scheme that ties in so well with the old photos.

Judy S. said...

So, so glad you're back to working on this quilt. I remember loving it from afar "back in the day." It's going to be wonderful.