January 21, 2014

Susan: CQJP2014, January and February

I finally made my first two new moms blocks last week, the only sewing of the week.

First is my Aunt Bobbie ~ Loetta Abner Beckenbach. She adopted my little sister and me when my mother died when I was nine. She was a woman who always did what was right, always did her duty. She had grace and good manners and tried her best to pass those things along. The photo was taken before she went to Japan and before my mother was pregnant (also in the picture along with another aunt), so I expect that was about 1946. That would make Aunt Bobbie 39, the youngest picture I have of her that's with me in Tennessee, maybe anywhere.

Bobbie and her husband, Charlie ~ the Colonel ~ provided us music lessons, ballet and tap lessons, deportment lessons (yes, I know no one uses that term any more), and in general tried to give us a sense of right and wrong, and responsibility. Mostly, it worked with me. Here is the block I made for her. I wanted to add more lace, but she kept telling me no. She wasn't a woman who cared for frills.

7AuntBobbie

Now Susan C's (yes, our own Suztats!) mother was much nicer about the lace, maybe because she's younger. She let me add a beautiful lace motif that Aunt Bobbie wouldn't. Both blocks have corners of the same linen handkerchief. Aunt Bobbie's had the embroidered cutwork because she would allow that much fanciness, linen always being perfectly acceptable for a lady's handkerchief. There's a pretty bit of bridal lace that I thought suitable because of the picture. It was taken on her wedding day. Don't you love her dress (Oh, sadly, you can't really see the horizontal tucks across the dress!), and wasn't she beautiful?

DSC_7217

17 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Such a wonderful contrast between the 2 women! I recognized Suz's mother immediately because I also have some photos of Suz with her mother (for my yet to be sewn next Mother & Child wall hanging).

Do I detect a mauvey look to the fabrics you've chosen? If so, I could add some more!

Suztats said...

Love the blocks, Susan. I like the positioning of the hanky in the block of your aunt, and how it points right at her photo. Having lace with mom's block is just perfect as she crocheted beautiful lace and loved a little bit of frill. I look forward to seeing your embellishments!

ladyhawthorne said...

Isn't is interesting how photos and blocks will tell you what they want? These look wonderful and I just love the vintage photos.

Cyra said...

Fabulous blocks so far. Lovely photos of these two ladies of note. Nice work Susan, I am looking forward to the next episode in this "Quilt of Life".

Debra Spincic said...

. . . . and there's your quilt Title!

Moira said...

Love the new blocks! Am looking forward to seeing how your Aunt 'speaks' to you as you embellish her block.

cq4fun said...

Nah, you detect bad photography. LOL And the one under Suz's mom is also not sparkly or whatever that looks like, it's just a plain sort of eggshell color. The rest are pretty good matches for what they really are, but those two colors are just off.

cq4fun said...

I'm so glad you are pleased with what I'm doing on hers. There's another one you sent that I really debated using, but I love this one so much! I might even use it again in the weddings blocks, down the road.

cq4fun said...

Thank you. What amazes me is what has come from an idea that literally popped into my head one day. I couldn't have done it without people sending me their pictures, and I appreciate every single one of them. Women's photos, in my experience, were taken less often, and survived less often than men's in the past, so I'm excited to preserve the ones that have come to me.

cq4fun said...

It is a good title. I may use it for one of the two, if Cyra doesn't mind. Women of Value is what I call it in my head.

cq4fun said...

LOL, me, too! I know her voice will be different from my mother's which will be done later in the spring.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm totally drooling over the color pallet. I'm going to be watching this VERY closely! ☺

Debra Spincic said...

Bad photography I can understand!

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Judy S. said...

I am so glad you are back at work on this one as I remember it's earlier stages very well; it's one of my very favorites! Could you maybe share what you use to transfer the photos?

cq4fun said...

Well, thanks! May my stumbling around inspire you to do better than I do. LOL

cq4fun said...

HP inkjet printer. =) I put the images in a Word doc and print on Miracle sheets from C Jenkins Company. The price has gone a lot higher since I bought them last!