January 21, 2014

Moira - Two Steps Forward, One Step Backwards

I was able to get a lot of sewing done over this past week.   First up was the 2nd and 3rd blocks for the BOM (pieced) that I've designed and am posting on my blog.   Got the block instructions written and sent off to Susan N for testing/proofreading, and my sample blocks made.   Bock two gets posted on the 1st, so that has been set aside.   Will do more on that this week or next because I need to start the instructions for the border/setting units.

Then over the weekend I was sewing with a group of friends who work on UFO's each month and I made a lot of progress on the Wedding quilt.    There are three distinct blocks in this quilt and I made blocks for two of them this weekend. With the ones that I already have made I now have the following made:

String Geese - 12 out of 36 needed
Single Goose - 25 out of 72 needed
Goose w/triangle - 12 out of 72 needed
Total blocks made = 49 out of 180 needed or 27.2% done!   (Yes, I'm a numbers geek.  <S>)

I then went to lay them out to take a picture of the blocks so that I could see how they are starting to go together and realized that I'd forgotten to flip the block pattern so that the blocks would come out correctly (they are pp'd).   So the next thing I had to do was then fix the layout so that it would work with the way I'd made the blocks because I wasn't remaking them.   New layout is shown to the left.  

With this done I was able to layout a few of the blocks to see how it is starting to take shape.   Love how all of the colors are playing together - well for the most part at any rate.   This quilt is scrappy, and my typical MO for quilts like this is to make a multi-fabric background to for it.     I say multi-fabric because I'm not using scraps for the background on this quilt, but cutting from yardage and FQs. 


I have at least a dozen different fabrics cut so far and there will be more as I need more pieces.   It wasn't until I laid out these blocks today though that I realized how much one of them stands out from the others.    The background piece in the third block from the top right of the picture is bugging me.....it is a cream tone-on-tone fabric, but really shows up as much lighter than everything else in this picture.  

So I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not.   Any opinions?



14 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

If the whitish patch is the only patch you use in the quilt, then no, it is obvious. But, if you start generously adding more of that white or similar whites, then, yes, keep it.
Personally, I would add more whites.

Suztats said...

You're making lots of progress, Moira, with your blocks. Such precision makes my head hurt, lol, but the results look great.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm already dizzy just looking at your blocks and pattern but it will certainly be fantastic when finished! I love that you can change the pattern so you don't have to redo your blocks.

Cyra said...

I just love playing with patterns like that. You could end up with so many different quilts from playing with the arrangements of those blocks.
The white piece is definitely catching my eye. It might be ok if used for a small background triangle on a flying-geese patch.

Moira said...

The whitish patch is the one that is bugging me. It actually is a cream w/white on top, and I hadn't realized how white it looks. =( I've only got a limited amount of the fabric and not sure I have anything similar. I'll have to see what else I've got.

Moira said...

The precision is why i'm paper-piecing the blocks!

Moira said...

Agreed! And that is how I ended up here. =)

Moira said...

there was no way I was going to redo this many blocks! lol.....I'd have made a totally new design first before doing that. =)

cq4fun said...

I'm of two minds about it. It DOES stand out. Would it stand out less if there were a lot more whites in the top? Would a lot more whites change the look that you really want the quilt to have? How many of them will you have to rip out or discard if you decide not to use it? If you take that one out, will others then jump out at you? So, not an easy decision to make. I think if it were randomly scattered as goose sky, it might work out alright, but that rectangle is just too big. Here, pass me the seam ripper and I'll help.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I think it's a great idea to add more whites, or similar valued piece. It'll help the eye move around the piece, no? I'm a wee bit envious of your t-i-m-e!

Debra Spincic said...

So many questions, so little time! LOL!

Judy S. said...

It always amazes me what the camera picks up and my eye didn't see. You're right, that white rectangle is noticeable, but it looks like you've got a few suggestions here to sort through. I guess I'd be inclined to add some more white. To me the first square on the left is quite light also, so maybe you are on the way?

Moira said...

I went through the blocks that I've completed and i only need to take out that one block. the only other fabric I've used so far that might blend w/it is one with a off-white background and darker cream polka dots. Need to see how it works with the others....

I'll layout some of the triangles for the geese backgrounds and see how they play before making a final decision, but this one block for sure is gone.........

Debra Spincic said...

Now you have your answer--better earlier in the project than later!