January 14, 2014

Moira - Progress

Thanks to 5 snow days last week I was able to make progress on two of my long term projects.   Hopefully that outweighs the fact that I thought of one more long-term project that I have to work on the first half of the year.........lol.

At any rate this past week I was able to get twelve blocks made for the wedding quilt.   Strip sets were sewn from what seemed like a bazillion  1.5" strips of various greens.   Once sewn together in sets of three or two, I cut 75 or different pieces for block style 1 in the quilt.   Then raided my green scraps was able to cut greens that I needed for all 72 blocks of style 2, and 80 or so pieces of the 144 that I need for block style 3.    Next up is going thru the FQ's and yardage to cut 4.5" by 7" pieces from them for the remainin 70 or so that I need.   The pic show two of block style 1, and then 10 ob block style 2.    Lots more to do before this one is ready for quilting.

I've also been able to get three more blocks completed in my batik garden series finished.    The orange friendship star finished off the scraps in that color range.   That gives me 18 blocks total that are yellows, oranges, or browns.    I've already decided on a basic layout but because it's on point I need to do more thinking about what to do for setting triangles.   I was also able to get 2 purple blocks done as well.    Not a lot of different fab's in teh baggie so these may be all that I do out of the purple even tho there are more scraps.

All in all i'm happy with my progress this week.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

What size are the little scrap blocks at the bottom?

I am madly destashing all the larger green pieces I have for some firemen's quilts so looking at your top triangles is a familiar sight. Do you want some smaller scraps?

Debra Spincic said...

Can you share a photo, sketch or pattern so we have an idea of what these projects might look like when done?
Are the little purple scrappy ones paper pieced?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what you are doing so we can follow along more carefully.

Suztats said...

Aren't snow days wonderful? Well, for stitching, anyways..lol. Looks like you've been very busy! I love green, so I'm taken with your wedding quilt.

Cyra said...

Progress indeed. The green triangles quilt looks interesting. Is it your own design and is this the final layout for the blocks?
Love the orange block with the random log cabin whirl-pool (or rose) centre. Along with the two purple blocks, it's a great way to use up all those itty-bitty scraps.

cq4fun said...

You know I love basket blocks, so that's my favorite of the bottom row. The top blocks look so interesting laid out like that, but I know it doesn't go that way. Good luck with getting more sewn without the snow days this week!

ladyhawthorne said...

Lovely blocks, I really like the orange star, makes me think of the eye of a hurricane.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your wedding quilt is coming along nicely, what will be the finished size be?

Very good accomplishments this week.

Barbara C said...

It looks like you got a lot done because of the bad weather. You definitely made lemonade from lemons.