January 28, 2014

Moira - More Progress on a Lazy Weekend

Had a lazy, snowy weekend this past weekend thanks to the storms that have been going through here.     One of the projects that I worked on was the wedding quilt, and I was able to get another 25 blocks made.   I now have 76 of 180 blocks completed, which makes me 42% of the way finished with them.   My goal is to have all 180 of them completed before April when I'm going on a quilt retreat.   I'd love to be able to start putting it together before then as well if I can, but I won't do that until all blocks are completed so that I can mix the prints through out the quilt top.

I laid them out to see how the quilt is coming together and i'm really liking it.   The picture is a little misleading on colors because it doesn't show the burgundy that is present in the corner triangle of the block with the single goose.     I've put a pic of that fabric to the right.   The main colors in it are the burgundy, green and metallic gold all on a black background.   I'll be using the fabric as the final border to the quilt as well.

I did take out the two blocks that had the one fabric
that stood out like a bright light.   There are still a couple of fabrics that will be scattered through out that have a real light background, but they blend much better because of the darker cream print on them.   In looking at the picture I don't see them standing out like the one fabric, but just adding a bit of sparkle to the overall look.

I also worked on several other projects, most of which used fabrics that I had pulled together or set aside years ago and that I have had on my "UFO" list for several years.   I finished up 3 quilt tops, mainly kid size as a result.   Am finishing up a fourth top this morning that is based on scrap strips that again I had pulled together several yrs ago and then never did anything with.   Still have enough of the strips to start another quilt top as well.   Pics of the finished quilt tops can be seen on my blog.

13 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

The wedding quilt will be fabulous! I can't believe you also finished 3 other quilts, Debra better watch out, you'll be catching up with her record!

Debra Spincic said...

I increased the picture size and that helps. Use the Xlarge when posting so we can see your beautiful work!

I always have a need for kid quilts so if you are inclined, I will finish your tops and give them to the Family Promise families I support (with help from friends here) locally.

Moira said...

Okey doke, I'll remember on the picture size. =)

I'll definitely keep Family Promise as I work through my piles of fabrics. =)

Moira said...

Thanks! I'm biased, but think it's going to be lovely. As for the other three - they are tops only at this point. So not quite totally finished,

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks! What a few of the gals here do is stitch "Quilt Starters" for me. Then when I get them and know who might need them, I add borders to get the tops to size. It's been a great plan.

cq4fun said...

Moira, you already know how much I love your wedding quilt! I hope you are staying warm today.

cq4fun said...

Debra, I started a log cabin today. Think it will wind up 60 x 75, without borders. Using cut 3.5" strips from fabric Moira sent me that a friend gave her at retreat - we just pass this stuff around, don't we? =) Since this is purples and golds, I think it fits Family Promise better than AmHero - unless there's a female firefighter!

Judy S. said...

That is one lucky couple to be the recipient of what's going to be a beautiful quilt. All those blocks, wow!

Cyra said...

Great work Moira. I like that fabric with the burgundy/green/gold. Using it in the border will bring the whole quilt together nicely.

Debra Spincic said...

Beggars can't be choosers! I'll take it, Susan!

Suztats said...

I love that burgundy fabric! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous! You've been busy!

Moira said...

I stayed in all day except for running to the mailbox!

kathy r said...

the burgundy fabric stunning. would not mind having a bit in my stack. lol