January 7, 2014

Moira - Introduction

Hi everyone,

I'm Moira a long time friend of Susan's.   I'm excited to be a part of this group and want to say thanks for the invitation to join the group!   I'm hoping that the accountability I'll have to post to this group will help me stay focused on what needs to be done.    Susan will tell you that I'm easily distracted by new quilt designs....lol.

I'm currently working as an engineering teacher and work with 8th - 12th graders in a rural school district in North-east Indiana.   I also work part-time at Joann Fabrics to help make ends meet.

I'm an active quilt designer with three block patterns that have been published in QuiltMakers 100 Blocks by Top Designers.   And will soon have a quilt pattern published that features one of those blocks (magazine will be out in the Spring).   Currently I have two quilt designs that need to be made so I can submit them for publication (hopefully) and a block design to get a sample made for submission as well.    I'm also in the midst of writing the block patterns for the BOM that i'm hosting on my blog and website this year.   Susan is testing my patterns for me.  =)

I love working with orphan blocks, creating unusual settings and blocks that give a sense of perspective and scrappy quilts.    I also do a lot with paper-pieced blocks.   I've done a lot of CQ in the past, but haven't had time for it in the last few yrs.

I'll be working on 2 or 3 long-term projects this year.   The first one is the quilt that I need to get made for my nephew and his fiancee.   Wedding will most likely be sometime this summer but I can't wait till a date is set or I'll never have it made in time.   Pic to the right shows the layout that I'm making.   the quilt is my design and the main colors are assorted greens (the scrappy part of the quilt!), burgundy, and cream TOT's with a hint of metallic gold.   It will end up a queen-sized quilt and is 12 blocks wide by 14 rows long, plus border.  Each block is 6", so you can tell that there are a lot of blocks that I need to get made!    The blocks will be pp'd for accuracy.

The second quilt that I'll be working on is a 4 month project also to be worked on during the first part of the year (can you say glutton for punishment?).  It is a challenge to make a quilted wallhanging from a tea towel.   The tea towel that I've chosen is one that shows various scenes of London.   And the fabrics that I'm going to use with it are ones that I bought in London when I was there in 1997.    I think it's time that those fabrics finally found a home in a quilt!

The final project that I want to make progress on is one of my designs.   I have been designing PP'd blocks to use the tiniest of batik scraps (some as small as a quarter) that I've had in my scrap stash.   the scraps are sorted by colors and I've made 18 or so blocks using just one general color way.    I've got a dozen or more blocks that have been designed but not made.   My goal is to get enough blocks made for a quilt for my bed (king-sized) and if I can get the top put together.   Of course I also need to decide what colors I want it to be in.  These are pic of just two of the blocks that I've made.

So that's what I'm working on at this point.   I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is going to be working on this year.   If you're interested in seeing other things that end up being worked on, you can check out my blog at The Quilted Snail.

24 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Wow, when do you find time to sleep, lol? Welcome to the group!

What is TOT?

Suztats said...

Some fabulous plans for 2014, Moira! I'll look forward to seeing them all come alive. Kudos on the block patterns!

Suztats said...

I tried the link to your blog but it didn't work.

cq4fun said...

Try this: Quilted Snail

cq4fun said...

She's easily distracted by new quilt designs. =) But they are always great ones. Her mind is a fertile pattern field. Thanks for the tea towel reminder!

Debra Spincic said...

Tone on tone

Debra Spincic said...

Moira's blog link is in the sidebar.

Debra Spincic said...

Welcome Moira!

It's nice to have new ideas and techniques to show here so all your work is welcome! I hope you'll find us a receptive audience.

ladyhawthorne said...

Thanks, I never would have come up with that one.

Barbara C said...

Welcome Moira! I really love those scrappy pieced stars in the last pictures. It's great to have a new (and productive!) quilter in the group.

Munir said...

Welcome to the blogger group of friends. I am sure that you will have fun with other creative ladies who post wonderful things.
Wishing you a very happy 2014. Cheers.

Moira said...

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh, you mean like the chevron design that i finished making today.....lol. Well actually just need to put the border onto it and it'll be done.

Moira said...

Sleep? What's that......lol.....

Moira said...

thanks for the welcome!

Moira said...

Thanks for the welcome Barbara!

Moira said...

Thanks for the welcome!

Moira said...

thanks for the welcome Debra!

Moira said...

Suztats - did the link that Susan gave work for you?

Debra Spincic said...

I know, it's so overrated! :-)

cq4fun said...

Yeah, who needs sleep? There's more fabric to sew up, more thread to use on more patterns!

Debra Spincic said...

Now you're talkin'!

QuiltingFitzy said...

OH! We'll all be fast friends. LOVE paper-piecing, it fits with my personality traits! Interested in seeing your tea towel project too.

Welcome!

Suztats said...

Yes, thanks, it did.

Cyra said...

Hi Moira, so glad you are joining us. Lovely to see a fresh new creative lady here. Great to hear about your project plans for 2014 and good luck with your deadlines for finishing them.