January 28, 2014

Judy~ Two Quilts Done! Shocking, Isn't It?

Our oldest grand son turned NINE yesterday; how can that be?  It seems such a short time ago that we flew off to Chicago to hold him for the first time.  He said it was -5 there yesterday, so I think the quilt arrived just in time.  It was a fun kit that I got a long time ago when he first showed interest in outer space.  It's backed with fleece even though I've learned it doesn't keep its cuddly softness very long.



And now I hope Debra is sitting down. Sun Bonnet Sue is DONE!!! (Better late than never right? Only now I have to decide what to do with it. You can see the fold marks?)  Sorry for the not so great photo.  We aren't freezing here, but it's still really dark in the morning, foggy, too.


For you newbies, in 2012 our group followed the new weekly stitch and incorporated them into our work.  As I already had 12 stamped Sunbonnet Sue blocks, I decided to do one per month and add the requisite stitches along with the ones suggested on the pattern. It was a fun challenge, but it took me forever and a day to get the binding sewn on as other projects kept moving ahead of her.  Stella's arrival also cut down my sewing time. Imagine that! 



Here are two fuzzy close-ups, in case you're interested.  I actually did a bit of embroidery on the label but forgot to ask DH to take a picture of it.  A friend in my quilt group did the quilting and made Sue pop.  Had I known how to do trapunto, that would have been a way to make her even more pronounced.



In our cedar chest a number of other quilt UFOs are lurking, not to mention numerous other cross stitch, embroidery, and knitting projects that are in bags and drawers elsewhere.  My goal this year is to finish them and also whittle down my stash(es)!  There, I said it, now please hold me to it!  Have a happy week!

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

OMG! Is that Sue???
In all her finery, she's a sweet one, isn't she?
Great work Judy!

Cyra said...

Oh so beautiful Sue. Glad she got finished. Yes the Sue's do pop now it has been quilted. I think it deserves pride of place on your living or bedroom wall.

I'm sure your grandson will love his quilt for many years to come. Hope he had a great ninth birthday.

Judy S. said...

He did. I must have chatted with him for half an hour last night; he's getting so grown up.

Judy S. said...

Were you sitting down?

Debra Spincic said...

Yes! What a great surprise!

(and that you put your name in the title too!)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Both are so cute; Sunbonnet Sue is just beautiful!

Suztats said...

Sue is looking soooo good! She does pop! Great finish. Your grandson's quilt is really nice, too! He's sure to appreciate the cuddly warmth on those cold nights.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm so glad to see Sue in all her finery and on all her adventures in one photo! Lovely!

Moira said...

Sue looks great! And your grandson's quilt will be much loved I'm sure.

cq4fun said...

I believe I might have some of that space fabric lurking around here, too. SBS looks wonderful. How nice that she's all finished!

Judy S. said...

These grey, chilly days make it easier to sew at least for me (no garden yelling for attention!) Thanks all for your kind comments. Now on to the next project......

kathy r said...

i love to back my quilts with flannel. my family likes it better than cotton and they use the the quilts more.
mind if one day i borrow your idea on sue. i have a couple of printed panels and think that is a great idea.
kathleen mary

QuiltingFitzy said...

The Sunbonnet Sues are just amazing, doesn't it feel good to have it finished?!! You should be proud! The space quilt is awesome, I bet he loves it.