January 7, 2014

Fitzy ~ My Introduction

I am a newbie to the group, hoping to soak up every morsel of expertise that you may impart!

Without casting disrespect, I classify myself as an OCD ADD artist. I have my reasons, and I’m just beginning to understand (and accept) this about myself. By understanding, it’s letting me work through my shortcomings. When I began quilting, I got stuck on the initial process. I collected fabrics and was scared to death to cut into them. I finally got over my stumbling block and ended up with a small quilting business making photo memory quilts.

Here’s a bit of proof, and my tendency to “organize”:

I’m beginning to collect items to begin a crazy quilt and I’m just now cementing my design ideas. I’m collecting bits of this and that, and hope you can give me lots of suggestions on what other things you may think that are important as I embark on this journey.

I obviously like long-term projects; I’m currently heavily involved in embroidery. The vintage piece on the left (above) depicting Route 66 is about ½ done. I plan to complete the embroidery before constructing the surrounding quilt blocks. It’s a Crabapple Hill design. To the top-center is a pattern of the Underground Railroad by a local designer. That’s the next biggie to tackle.

Center-bottom is a self-made pillowcase that I just am beginning to work on (until I ironed the design on UPSIDE down). Can you relate? What is your suggestion for removing the iron-on print? I’ll probably just flip it over and re-iron the design correctly, and then treat the mistake with spot remover. I'm hoping something like the Clorox pen might work. You also may spot a stitching sampler that I work on when we take small trips by car.

I am working on a paper-pieced log cabin for my Cali-King bed. I’m on block #80 out of ~225. I try to complete a block a day on this project:

I work full time for the Government, take mass transit and live in sunny and warm southern Arizona. I try to make the best use of my time, and am always busy! If I’m not working on one of the projects above, I’m knitting/crocheting for The Pink Slipper Project, crafting with my daughter, hiking among the saguaros or running in some race.

Life is a BLAST!

10 comments:

cq4fun said...

How great to get to know you a little! I'm so jealous that you are in SoAZ! I miss the desert so much an the last three days have really been wondering what I'm doing in TN! Don't buy another thing for CQ until you let me send you a box! I had tons of my own stuff and inherited everything from my best friend when she died this summer, so now I have 2 x too much lace and beads and threads and, and, and! I even have her mother's embroidery floss. =) On the pillow case, why now make a quilted border to go over the hem and use a different pillow case for your stitchery? Then you don't have to worry if it doesn't come out. Oh, yes, been there, done that. =) Love your log cabin colors.

Debra Spincic said...

Toss the pillowcase and start over. Life is short.

It took me awhile to learn to cut into fabrics. One day I had a big meltdown and Wes wrote me a letter in which he told me to use every supply I had and then go buy some more until I had what I needed. It was so freeing to know that I didn't have to hoard any of my fabric anymore. And the longer I quilt, the more I realize that there will always be fabrics out there I like.

I agree with Susan. Between all the members of this group, we've got enough supplies for more CQs than we will ever sew. Just put together a list of what you might want & post it. If I have it, I like to share; that includes machine embroidery too!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Please friend me on Facebook: Fitzy Fitzpatrick and I'll pm you my address; all offers sincerely appreciated. As far as what I "want", unfortunately I don't have a clue! I plan to stick to a monochromatic scheme, to include very light pastels. Thank you!

Debra Spincic said...

Most of the gals here are not on FB. You can use the email list though.

Maybe you could start a board on Pinterest with some ideas of the direction you are going; colors, style, theme so we could look at that. Or, just post them here.

Barbara C said...

Welcome Fitzy! You'll get lots of support for your projects from this group.

ladyhawthorne said...

Welcome! You have some wonderful projects going.
As for the pillowcase, you could trim off the printed part and sew it back on right side up with a complementing fabric band.
Looks like you are making great progress with the log cabin. I did one once but I've never done the paper piecing.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Thank you for your warm welcome. I see I'll get lots of help, that's encouraging!

Suztats said...

Hi Fitzy, and nice to 'meet' you! Looks like you have a nice start on your project list and I look forward to watching your pieces come to life. Angela has a good idea for your pillowcase problem, I think.
Here's to happy stitching!

Cyra said...

Hello Fitzy, great that you are joining us and it's lovely to meet you through your introduction. Nice collection of threads and projects in the photo. I think that is a good start for cq stitching. You will soon work out what embellishments you would like to use on your quilt. Do you have a theme or particular style that you want to use.
I love the colours in your log cabin. I look forward to watching it grow.

Moira said...

Welcome to the list Fitzy from the other newbie! Like Susan said, don't buy anything more for the CQ because I'm more than happy to share what I have as well!

And I too am missing AZ after living out there for 30 yrs. I'm looking forward to seeing your projects develop over the coming year. =)