January 14, 2014

Fitzy - Hexagons

I’ve (yet another) project in the wings waiting. I generally do not participate in many swaps; I often am disappointed in the return. When I do, I try to step right out there and use the opportunity to MY advantage. I try a new technique or something that is unfamiliar. It lets me practice a new thread, a new application, a new method. I’ve turned it into an educational opportunity and less of a “see what I get back” experience. A WIN/WIN in my book.
I am participating in a Facebook swap for mug rugs. 6”x9” finished. I had the EPP freezer paper templates all cut and fabric purchased. This project has been on my mind for some time, and because of its nature, I refused to begin it without a goal in mind. It could totally get out of control otherwise! Project is due Feb. 1.

Current log cabin project was laid aside this week. My youngest daughter and new husband came back from Afghanistan a few days before Christmas. I awoke Sunday morning with two soldiers in my kitchen, a total surprise! I hadn’t met my new son-in-law yet, as they’re living in South Carolina, and were advised to marry before deploying last January. Their tour was extended…and now they’re home! We managed one crafty shopping trip, but celebrated our new family by just “being”. It was wonderful.
Added a new Zumba Class and a Yoga Class into my lunch hour this week, as well as training for a 10K. Should be a busy week!

8 comments:

Cyra said...

Oh how lovely it must have been to see your daughter and her husband after all that time. Hugs galore I'm sure.
Love your little Flower garden mug rugs.

ladyhawthorne said...

I think busy is an understatement! I really like the red & white and the heart fabric is too cute.
I've never done a swap, I guess I would be afraid of disappointing someone down the line. You're a brave soul.

Moira said...

Great idea for using teh hexies for the mug rugs. =) Love the fabrics you're using in them.

Debra Spincic said...

Cute little hexies! Be sure and show us the finished mug rugs!

cq4fun said...

Oh, those are tiny ones. Look forward to seeing your mug rug. How wonderful to have a surprise visit!

Barbara C said...

Enjoy having your family together. Those are tint hexies, so cute!

Suztats said...

How wonderful to wake up to such a surprise visit! It's great they're back home now, so enjoy every moment.
Your hexies are so tiny! I love the hexie flowers and look forward to seeing the mug rugs. Hope your swap turns out to be fun and fab.

Judy S. said...

Love your hexies! And so glad you got to spend some time with family!