January 7, 2014

Debra: TX Mockingbird Crazy Quilt Finished!

Started in 2012 when most of us were working through the first TAST, this crazy quilt languished in the closet all of 2013. During the recent past Christmas vacation, I was determined to get it finished for the first Tuesday Stitcher's Reveal today.

 I am particularly proud that I figured out how to quilt the background.  Basically, I quilted a whole cloth on the longarm (the orange fabric) and then laid the crazy quilt on top, stitched it to the backgound and stitched over the raw edge with the brown crinkly ribbon.  I sewed the binding on by longarm too. It was nerve-racking but I believe with more practice it will become easier.

I've collected and saved some embellishments for quite a while hoping to use them on a Texas themed crazy quilt so it gave me a lot of pleasure to sew them down the past few days.

Texas Mockingbird will be displayed in my dining room.   Enjoy!















17 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm so glad you finished this piece, so many stitches and such neat birds. Enjoy!

cq4fun said...

What a great combination of hand and machine work. This will be so inspiring on the wall.

Suztats said...

Fabulous finish, Debra! Love the sparkle of that crinkly ribbon. Now you can enjoy seeing your birdies every day!

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you! This probably looks more like Abilene than Houston. I was thinking of the Panhandle while stitching it.

Debra Spincic said...

And, I am motivated to move forward with the other 2 so that's a huge step. They almost landed in the thrift store bag!

Debra Spincic said...

Christmas ribbon to the rescue!

Thanks Suz!

ladyhawthorne said...

Dad feeds the birds every day and there are wrens/sparrows, doves and some gorgeous black birds with either bright orange or red bands on their wings. I need to find out what they are.

Renata's arts and crafts said...

This quilt is very beautiful and looks like a lot of work in it

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you and yes, it was!

Debra Spincic said...

Look closely and you will see some of that gold robe trim you gave me a long time ago--lower right hand corner.

Barbara C said...

Beautiful work! Such rich colors and details! Congratulations on figuring out how to finish this piece. It's funny how some problems just stall us in our tracks until we can figure them out.

Moira said...

Great finish to a beautiful quilt!

Debra Spincic said...

There was no way I was going to break my back over another CQ like I did on my Mother and Child CQ. I thought about putting that one on the longarm but it was too encrusted. TX Mockingbird worked much better. Good lesson learned!

Thanks Barbara!!

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks Moira! 2014 is CQ UFO year for me!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Beautiful! Applause! Bravo!

My favorite part is the cross-stitched bird. Did you interface it? Scrumptious! OH! The bee buttons, goodness!

Debra Spincic said...

The cross stitch fabric was stiff enough that it didn't need interfacing. The woodpecker was cut from a decorator sample. All the other birds are machine embroidery. The cross stitch bird was part of a large set I had a person on eBay stitch for me; probably about 8 years ago.

My former husband was a beekeeper so we had lots of bee themed items in our household. I collected little embellishments I could use and those bees are from that time. They worked nicely to hide the missing parts of the jeweled flower!

Cyra said...

Oh goodness me... that is stunning Debra. So rich, so colourful, so gorgeous.
I love the bead bug that the woodpecker has its eye on, also love all the hand stitched details, and those lovely buttons.
Congrats on a job well done.