January 28, 2014

Debra: 2 Wall Hangings


I am very slowly giving this wall hanging some attention.  I've rearranged the blocks so they make more sense.  I liked Susan's suggestion to sew them together with the greens acting as a block border.  I am also using Barbara's suggestion of no outer border.  

The idea I thought would be the above piece's border has now morphed into its own wall hanging. That was not my intent when I decided to finish some UFOs this winter but I have been storing the fabrics in this piece a long time so they feel like UFOs in their own right.




I like the little rectangles.  I'm not sure at this point if I will further embellish them or not.  I would also like to add some red or orange or hot color to the whole composition.  One idea is to hand stitch a long basting (kantha) stitch through the background.


Yesterday I machine stitched the raw edged green fabrics (mainly from the very early '90s--designer sample books) to a base fabric.  I'll slice through the middle and turn this length into the 2 side borders.



Lots of yellow and blue greens; interesting how the texture shows differently on the various fabrics.

18 comments:

Suztats said...

I like the new arrangement on your wall hanging. The progression of brights to muted darks is very interesting, and strikes me as a little moody and mysterious as my eye moves down the rows.
Your whites look great together, and I like how the rectangles break up the lines. This has a nice textural feel to it. Was that lace I spied? Love the softness it adds to the feel of this piece. The green side borders will look fabulous!

cq4fun said...

I love how straight your lines of stitching are. It adds so much dimension to each piece. Can't wait to see the finished pieces! Do you have a plan for what to do with them yet?

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, there is a lot of lace mixed into the composition. When I get further along, I'll take more photos.

I'm not going to say what I think is the theme of the CQ piece this early--wondering if anyone will guess???

Debra Spincic said...

I plan to keep both of these pieces for myself. I have a designated wall in my hall off the foyer/dining room/living room (open space) that I regularly change with large wall hangings. The white one will go there.
I'm not sure yet where the CQ one will hang.

My lament is that my house has so few walls where I can hang wall hangings. Complicating that issue is the fact that I like some of my wall hangings where they are and don't want to change them out.

Suztats said...

Hmmmmmm, I wonder........

ladyhawthorne said...

That's when you hang them from the ceiling like a banner!

I really love the 'border' piece and I would wait until you have the borders attached before adding a strong color like orange, even in stitching. It appears very airy and muted like the end of summer going into fall just before those fall colors pop out. The rectangles are great!

Debra Spincic said...

Do you know? It looks obvious to me . . .

Debra Spincic said...

This is a bit of a "think and go" piece. I expect it will morph a lot over the next weeks.

Moira said...

Love the border piece and the CQ one! I'm looking forward to seeing how they both 'morph' in the future.

Debra Spincic said...

:-)), me too!

Judy S. said...

I wouldn't mind if my UFOs multiplied if they looked as good as yours does. (Love the green border, BTW.) I have no idea about the second one but know you're up to something. Tee Hee.

Debra Spincic said...

:-), I cleared out the real "dogs" a long time ago.

Cyra said...

Love what you did with the crazy quilt. Shows off the colours just right.
The Art Quilt = I have a feeling this is growing into being my most favourite of all your quilts Debra. I'll not tell you what I can "see" in it yet, as I don't want to influence your design in any way. I want to see where YOU take this.

Debra Spincic said...

I don't see anything in the art quilt yet. The CQ --yes, that one I know!

Suztats said...

There is something very familiar about it, but, no, I don't know for sure....just something wriggling around in my head nudging me. Of course it looks obvious to you-- you Know lol

Debra Spincic said...

:-)), yes, of course!

kathy r said...

I have been storing the fabrics in this piece a long time.
this made me laugh because i understand

Debra Spincic said...

No need to rush out there and use the latest fabrics! LOL!