January 7, 2014

Angela ~ Journey Through Time Quilt

My project for this year is a quilt, a 'trip around the world' design of 2½" squares (2" when sewn) and all the patterned squares are different fabrics.
This is the graph I made, there are dark, light and off white squares making a diamond pattern.  I used a lot of charm packs for this but still cut a lot out too, including all the off white squares.  An Olfa knife makes quick work of it.
Over 2 days I sorted squares by color tone and arranged each row, then banded and numbered them.
I was going to sew them on the machine and hand quilt but I opted to hand sew the squares as well, a nice way to pass time in the evenings, especially while it has been so cold.

I began sewing the rows together once I had a few done and pressed and since a couple weeks before Christmas I now have 19 rows of the 46 completed.
Left side
Right side

I have yet to find somewhere where I can take a photo of the whole thing at once, you can see the double line down the center showing nicely.  

I played with the idea of doing photos of the women in the family but I have so few photos that I am now considering writing their names and birth/death dates in the off white squares.  All the unsung female members that held the family together over hundreds of years.  After more than 30 years of doing genealogy I have quite a few names.

I'm naming this quilt a Journey Through Time as many of the fabrics are reproductions from many generations and represent the patterns and colors my ancestresses would have known and used.

10 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

It's really fun to see all the fabrics in your quilt! Smart of you to bundle the squares in rows; especially since you are hand stitching.
You are almost to the halfway point! This isn't taking as long as I expected. Maybe you will hand quilt it since it is hand pieced?

Suztats said...

Wow, Angela, you've made a lot of progress! You must be one fast stitcher. your quilt looks great already.

ladyhawthorne said...

I believe I will hand quilt it, in homage to all those women who came before me that had no sewing machines. Besides, I like hand quilting.

ladyhawthorne said...

I don't know that I'm fast, I just need something to keep my hands busy if I'm sitting in front of the TV. Other wise I will chew off my fingernails, lol.

Debra Spincic said...

I think that is a good idea!

Debra Spincic said...

or stay too long on Pinterest! LOL!

Barbara C said...

This quilt is going to be a beauty. I love the idea of writing the names of family members on the quilt.

Moira said...

wow, you've made a lot of progress on the quilt! It is going to be a wonderful quilt and a wonderful keepsake if you put the names of your family members on it.

cq4fun said...

This is looking great already. The idea of combining the repro fabrics, the names, and a skill most of the women would have had is really a great genealogy tribute.

Cyra said...

Oh Angela I admire your organization skill as well as your stitching skill. A most delightful project to include your female ancestors too. Congrats on a great project for 2014.