December 10, 2013

Susan: November Reveal

And Tuesday, I'm starting December, almost looks like caught up! Just in time, too.

Here are the four seams I did this week:

from something in my sketchbook - using Success Strips to mark dots for the top points of the triangles:


just having a little fun making the curve go a different way - using Sharon Boggon's template:


playing around with one of Carole Samples' templates - those dark blue ones, Judy referred to as boat anchors - much pointier on the block than the picture makes it seem:



backstitching using the fabric design as a guide - what else could I do with that?





And the whole enchilada revealed:



I'll probably do something more in that white on the right before I finish the top. There may be beads. Or not.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Boat anchors on an Army patch? Not!

I agree that the white space is a little too white! maybe more stitching will even it out.

Nice work, Susan!

Judy S. said...

You could sprinkle in a few french knots (or beads) on the white dots that would maybe soften all that white and look like sparks from the fireworks? Great looking block---again! (Didn't mean to insult the Army, but I still think they look like anchors. ;>)

Debra Spincic said...

:-)

Cyra said...

Love the stitching on the right, with the backstitch following the fabric pattern. It lifts the fabric to a new dimension.

Isn't it great to have all these resources for stitch designing.

Instead of ships anchor's, I thought they looked like the arrows on convicts suits, haha.

Barbara C said...

Great job keep up with your deadlines on this project. Your stitching is always so precise.

Suztats said...

I really like that backstitching treatment! It would look great extended into the white. Great stitching!

ladyhawthorne said...

Wait, doesn't the Navy transport the Army? Gotta work together!

ladyhawthorne said...

" looked like the arrows on convicts suits" I had to laugh out loud on that one. Our convicts wear orange jumpsuits, lol.

ladyhawthorne said...

It's wonderful and a little something in the white area to the right will finish it off perfectly!

cq4fun said...

The army is above being insulted. LOL Me, too.

I like the French knot idea - or beads, and that may be what I try.

cq4fun said...

Hmmm ... did we have any convicts colonizing here? I'm pretty sure some criminals escaped from English justice by coming here! =)

cq4fun said...

Thanks. I'm always trying to make it so. My mother was an amazing embroiderer, so I have a lot to live up to, but I just love stitching! It's been a challenge this year to stay within this narrowly confined type of stitching, no lace, nothing feminine. I'm not really a girly-girl, but it was still hard!

cq4fun said...

Thanks for that idea, too! I'll see what happens with the knots, and my drop those red ones down, at least.