December 10, 2013

Debra: Unusual Fabrics & Great Textures

 I've been working with some unusual fabrics lately.  Besides a big cotton stash, I have a big unusual (other) fabric stash too!  Next year I hope to work more with some of those fabrics.  They are interesting in their own way. I originally accumulated these prints for crazy quilts but once I had sewn a few CQs, I realized I don't like wild (or murky) prints because I can't see the embroidery.  Now I am rethinking the prints as pieced quilts I can quilt on the longarm and give away.  Always good to have a challenge (and to clear out stash)!
 
 
 
 

This quilt had rayon, silk, polyester strips quilted to a foundation.  I was able to use up a lot of small fleece scraps as batting between the strips and the foundation.  Then, the units were sewn together and quilted to a layer of cotton batting and the final wool backing.  It is a warm, snuggly quilt.  About 75% of the fabrics were reclaimed from women's rayon skirts and men's silk ties.  I was very pleased in the end that the silk ties didn't look like ties.  
 
Now I have 4 large throws to sew for Christmas giving to an Angel Tree family.  A friend gifted me with some yardage of minky, which is a textured velour.  It takes up a lot of space and is the kind of fabric I try to use up quickly & move out of my stash.  When an opportunity arose to make the throws, I knew I had to face my sewing doubts and just get started.  I had been worrying in vain.  My longarm whizzed right over the surface.  I hope to finish the others by tomorrow. 
 
A little known secret--thrifted electric blankets can be separated for 2 pieces of "batting".  I can often get electric blankets for next to nothing when they are missing their controls.  I'll be using 2 electric blankets for these 4 throws.  Nifty, yes?
 
 

9 comments:

Judy S. said...

Weird, another eaten comment, at least I think so. Those quilts should be really appreciated during this cold snap! That you could stitch minky easily on your longarm is really impressive; it's not pretty on my machine which usually stitches over anything happily.

Munir said...

wow that much fabric. It is like a feast for hobby.

Cyra said...

Gotta love those cheery quilts. And I adore (yes, really adore) that gorgeous blue textured minky.
Always have to admire your thrifted ideas. Who would have thought to separate an electric blanket.

Barbara C said...

Great job using up those hard-to-use fabrics. They look like they're perfect for throws.

Suztats said...

Such colours and patterns! Certainly will brighten up anyone's day. Way to go. And thanks for that neat tip.

Debra Spincic said...

I like to think I am the Queen of Thrifting . . . .

ladyhawthorne said...

Yup! A friend named me the Empress of Ebay, lol.

Love the minky, looks very cuddly. There's going to be some very happy and warm folks soon!

Debra Spincic said...

:-), yea I can see that title for you!

cq4fun said...

You ARE the queen of thrifting!