December 3, 2013

Debra: Strippy Quilt

Such luscious prints (a deviation from all the pastel cottons of the past couple weeks) will be used for a large bed-sized quilt for one of Laura's belly dance friends.  Yet, her friend, lives in a warehouse loft and it is uber cold in there.  We recently had a cold spell of a few days and it sent everyone scurrying for something warm.


Three very long panels of silk & rayon prints will be combined with a pieced Pendleton wool backing for Yet's quilt.  All the fabrics are either vintage (circa 1980s) or reclaimed from clothing & men's ties.  It's going to be a great quilt for a dancer! 
 


11 comments:

Judy S. said...

That backing should help keep her toasty warm! Great colors too!

Suztats said...

Nice, warm and wild colours for a dancer's quilt. The wool backing won't be scratchy, will it? I love wool's warmth, but it makes me itch. (maybe that's just me...)

Cyra said...

Some gorgeous fabrics there. Love the tartans.

Debra Spincic said...

I washed and dried the wool in the washer/dryer. It was soft before but it is much softer now. Pendleton wools are very high quality refined wools and wonderful to the touch.

Debra Spincic said...

This is a great project--one on the bucket list!

Debra Spincic said...

I thought about using the wools as the batting but I believe they will be great as the backing.

ladyhawthorne said...

I would have never thought to use silk and wool together but it works!

Debra Spincic said...

Crazy quilters have been doing it since the dawn of time!

Besides, silk is a very warm fabric, especially combined with wool.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Great colors. That should be a stunner.

cq4fun said...

I read in comments that it was on your bucket list - combining those fabrics, or using the ties, or making a quilt like this? I love the colors - so bright on both sides.

Debra Spincic said...

A little of all--certainly using the fabrics (up). I'm going to try a little harder next year to use more of these fabrics. I like that the average viewer could probably not tell that a good percentage of the fabrics were ties. I'm not fond of quilts that try to capitalize on the tie shape.