December 31, 2013

Barbara's La Flor de la Nochebuena


I just put the final stitches into this oooold UFO. She's the sister my Fall Madonna, and here and here are some of the process photos, jeez, from 2010.

I got stuck with this piece because I felt like the Madonna looked like she was floating in space.  Easy fix: I extended the poinsettia swag under her.


This piece is built on a vintage napkin, and features, broiderie perse, silk ribbon embroidery, and lots of beads.   The embellished lace circle represents the new moon.



I had to add a bird.


 The Virgin's beaded skirt references the Mexican national costume, and the poinsettia is native to Mexico, and a flower associated with winter.  La Flor de la Nochebuena, the title of this quilt, comes from one of the Spanish names for this flower, which literally means Christmas Eve Flower.


I have been saving this backing and binding fabric of gold poinsettias for a long time.  The quilt is labelled, like lots of my other quilts, with a vintage doily.

Many blessings in 2014 to all.  I'm relieved to begin the new year with one less unfinished project.

6 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

She's a beautiful finish for 2013! I remember Her fondly!

ladyhawthorne said...

Oh My Goodness She's gorgeous! So glad you finished her and shared with us.

cq4fun said...

How beautiful she is. You did a really great job finishing this one for your 2013 finale.

Judy S. said...

I love it, too. The poinsettia is one of my favorite flowers. I think 2014 is going to be another "finish those UFOs" year for me. How did I ever get so many?

Suztats said...

Your Christmas/Winter Madonna is beautiful! Perfect backing fabric, too, in keeping with the theme. Love all the detail in this piece. (The poinsettia is my theme for our Christmas decor.)

Cyra said...

Such a beautiful project. So glad you were able to complete her before the start of the New Year.