November 19, 2013

Debra: Collaborations

You may recognize these quilts as ones Deborah pieced. You would be right!
The quilting is done and they will be candidates for binding tomorrow when neighbor quilters come to my house to sew.  Lovely quilts, all comfy.


If I get motivated today, this top sent to me by Susan will also be quilted and ready for binding tomorrow.  I don't have much sports related fabric but as luck would have it, I had just enough to enlarge this quilt to twin sized.  These 3 quilts will be for kids in the November graduating class of Family Promise.  They are moving into a home at the end of the month.


 
The green print is the backing.


Some really good scores at the thrift store this past week!  Each of these bundles has about 6 yards in it.  All 3 bundles for $2.98!


By the time afghans hit the thrift store they are usually very worn out.  So I was delighted to nab this new and fresh afghan for $3.99.  Yep, I'll give it to a sweet baby somewhere sometime.


In the spring I hope to partner with some friends to sew pillowcase dresses for little girls in the local community.  I always buy pillowcases (usually for $1/each) for their incredible amount of fabric.  They are far larger than a fat quarter & it's a quick way to accumulate a variety of prints.  Here was my weekly haul last week!  These are going to be cute dresses!

Once I finish the current (large) load of quilts due by the 1st of December, I have my eye glancing towards my snowflake wallhanging.  Remember that one?  Although with the current 80° weather, it's hard to think about snow and the upcoming holidays.  Yea, I know, it's rough.

16 comments:

Deborah McLaughlin said...


Really turned out great. I love the sports themed quilt too.

Judy S. said...

Eighty? Sigh.... It's raining here as usual. Nice work, Debra!

Debra Spincic said...

The sports quilt is now quilted!
The only quilt left to do is for the parents.
Lots of good help this month from you and Susan!

Debra Spincic said...

We're still wearing shorts.

Barbara C said...

Great job enlarging that sports-themed quilt. It's amazing how often one finds just the right thing to finish a project. If you want crocheted baby blankets, I might be able to make some up for you. I have a largish stash of acrylic yarns I want to get through.

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, I am sure I can find a good home for baby afghans (knit or crochet).

Cyra said...

Another week with lots achieved. Well done you and your team of stitchers.

Debra Spincic said...

I really wish you were here so you could sew with us!

Cyra said...

Have you heard of the saying "be careful what you wish for" .

Cyra said...

We might not get much work done haha but it would be fun.

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Suztats said...

80?! Oh, wow! This morning there was snow on the ground (a dusting) and the temperature was below 30! In a few days, the low will be -10!! Brrrr, so glad I have my longjohns....... ;-)
Wonderful finishes Debra, and what luck finding those treasures! Keep on!

ladyhawthorne said...

Great job! I love the little flower fairies fabric in that first picture.
Our temps keep fluctuating, one day we have the a/c on for 82 degree weather and the next the heat because it dipped to 21 at night.

cq4fun said...

Yet another reason to wish I had settled in Texas. =) I hadn't thought about getting pillowcases for the pillowcase dresses. Duh! I'll have to check our local thrifties. I did look for baby clothes the other day in two, but there was nothing really good. I'll keep checking, though. Those reds are the PERFECT color to border that quilt and corral all those pieces! It looks great!

cq4fun said...

Oooh, I'll be checking out your blog tomorrow or whenever you put up the photos of the dones.

Debra Spincic said...

I think Deborah is going to sew little bodices and send them to me so I can add the full length of the pillowcase for the skirt.
If you want to be included, we will work out the system to avoid a lot of mailings.

I picked up 9 onesies that look good. My favorite store is having 50% sale on the Friday after Thanksgiving so thought I'd so back and look at kid clothes again. The kid clothes at Goodwill are really worn out.