November 5, 2013

Deborah: Late.

I got home from Houston around midnight Sunday night. I tried going to work at noon but shortly after I got there I developed a splitting sinus headache. I kept my appointment with the vendor (only reason I went in) but went home right after. The library is SO COLD - I don't know why they can't fix that and make it a more reasonable temperature - but it wasn't helping my headache. Even my ears hurt! By the time I got home, my whole face was aching.

 Okay, I'm done complaining.

Houston was great this year. My cousin Sue and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza and I really enjoyed it (I love staying in nice hotels).  We met up with Debra and her friend Vanessa (if I remembered correctl) on Sunday for lunch. Great to see you, Deb! It was a really fun lunch!

I could not possibly pick a favorite from the over 700 quilts I saw (and photographed - nearly all of them, I think) but these stand out for their awesomeness:



If I'm not mistaken, the name of the quilter here was Hazel Cantrell. I could go look it up but I'm lazy. I will check and correct if necessary.

I'm completely dumbstruck by the skill shown here.  But, there were so many: the Japanese quilts always amaze me and the Baltimore album quilts make me weak in the knees. Too many beautiful quilts to mention. I have my photos on Flickr and I can email the link to you if you are interested.

I think of the 750 or so quilts that were on display, there may have been 50 that I didn't care for. There's always something in each of them that appeals to me - the colors, the quilting, the theme, the technique. I would not want to be a judge. 

It was also a privilege to see Libby Lehman's work there. I remember seeing her demonstrate what I think she called "the thread thing" on TV years ago. Her work is really beautiful.

So that's it for another year. G-d willing, I will be back in Houston again next November. 

Now back to business, finishing up that quilt that Debra handed over to me. And, oh heavens, I still have to make a couple more mug rugs for that Basset thing on Saturday. Like it or not, I'm going to have to sit down and focus when I get home from work tomorrow and Thursday.



5 comments:

Suztats said...

Glad you had a good time in Houston. Nice to see these wonderful quilts. Thanks.
Hope that migraine stays away.

Cyra said...

Such gorgeous quilts. Thank you for sharing .
I believe the 'thread thing' of Libby Lehman's is Threadplay. I have her book here on my lap at this very moment. Plenty of inspiration there.
Hope your nasty headache stays away.

Judy S. said...

Lucky you to get to Houston! Our local guild is having a show this weekend which will be tiny in comparison, but it is fun to see what quilters can do. Must have been fun to meet up with Deb. You've done some great stuff for her.

cq4fun said...

Wow. That quilting is amazing! Thanks for sharing it. I would like your flickr link, please.

Debra Spincic said...

Always a pleasure!