November 26, 2013

Barbara's Stitching Away


My university closes for the whole Thanksgiving week, so I've had some much-needed downtime to sit and do some sewing.  My daughter wanted a new apron.  I've made her half aprons for work (she's a restaurant cook) in the past, but this time she wanted a full apron.  I used a "heirloom" apron my son made in middle school (about 10 years ago).  I still wear it when I cook.  Allie wanted hers to be a little wider, so I allowed for a few more inches at the sides, and made it longer, but otherwise used Alex's apron as a pattern.


I cut the fun faux-1950s kitchen fabric and the lining at the same time with the rotary cutter.


I rotary cut long strips for the ties, pressed to the middle, and top-stitched.


Allie asked for a pen holder...


...a big pocket, and a loop.


Success!  Even Louie the cat is impressed.

Happy Turkey Day ladies.  If you have to cook, wear a cute apron.

6 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

That is one cute apron!

cq4fun said...

The apron is adorable! The fabric is perfect. Sadly, I don't think I have any clothes worth the protection of an apron! I have a cute one that a friend made for me - way too cute to actually use it. LOL

Suztats said...

I agree! Super cute.

ladyhawthorne said...

Very cute! Very practical too!

Cyra said...

Great apron. Love the print fabric. Nice idea to have big pocket and a loop to hook tea-cloth or hand towel in.
In the past I have made hand towels with a fabric 'topper' that has a Velcro tab, which would work nicely with the loop on your apron.

Judy S. said...

What fun fabric! Cute model too. She looks very happy with her custom apron. Lucky gal. Have a nice Thanksgiving, Barbara!