November 19, 2013

Barbara's Rigid Heddle Weaving


I've had a craving to weave for awhile, so I warped my loom with some self-striping sock yarns and  pretty quickly had this lovely shawl.


I'd bought a battery-operated fringe twister, which I got to use for the first time.  It makes fast work of this neat finish.


I used some inexpensive Premier self-striping sock yarns, warping with just over one ball of the purple, and with a little of the pink and the sparkly yarn.  I find I get a beautiful result with these yarns, which produce a plaid-like fabric.  For the weft I randomly alternated the rest of the purple with some solid purple sock yarn.


The sparkly yarn had some slubs, which fit through the 12 dpi heddle with little tugging.  The yarn is a bit scratchy, so I think I'll use it more sparingly in the future.  This was a Tuesday Morning find.


I impressed myself so much with this project, I immediately warped the loom again, this time with blues and greys.  I figure I'll stockpile these shawls for gifts.


Here are some gratuitous pretty photos: the first, a fall scene taken at a rest stop when Michael and I returned from a weekend trip a couple of weeks ago.  That yellow tree called out to me.


Another beauty shot: this time of my cat Louie, who posed so nicely for me.

7 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

All your shawls, woven or knitted, are lovely!

Suztats said...

The colours on your shawl are really pretty, and I am so envious that you weave, too!

ladyhawthorne said...

I'd love to be able to weave, those shawls are absolutely lovely!

Judy S. said...

So pretty! I love the way the colors work together. Love that kitty, too.

cq4fun said...

Gorgeous ending photos. I'd like a spot on your gift list. LOL That is simply beautiful work! I've never thought much about weaving myself, though I know someone who would very much like to learn to do it. This could change my mind, because it's just so pretty!

Barbara C said...

Thanks everyone, weaving is a lot of fun, especially because I'm never sure how the yarns are going to look together. It's always a surprise.

Cyra said...

Omg Barbara, love the shawls. My rigid heddle loom is packed away in the shipping container otherwise I might have been tempted to 'play-along' with you.