November 19, 2013

Angela ~ Knitting Project


I'm borrowing my Mom's camera so I have a photo this week!  I needed to do something simple to be creative this week so I started what we used to call a dickey for a friend's Christmas present.  

This is the neck so far, it will be a little longer so it can fold over and then a triangular piece covers front and back of the upper body and across the shoulders.  I didn't like the original stitches so I changed the neck to a simple ribbing and I am simplifying the rest as well.  The directions sucked anyway so I am kind of winging it.  Wish me luck as I am barely past beginner stage in knitting.

This yarn is some wool from Peru that I picked up at the thrift shop for 25¢ a skein, very soft and a nice neutral color.  It's so soft it might be alpaca but the label only says wool.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I remember dickeys! You are doing such a great job, you ought to go ahead and knit the whole sweater!

Barbara C said...

Simplifying a pattern often makes it more enjoyable. Good yarn score: I love finding nice yarns at the thrift store. I hope you're feeling settled in after your move.

Cyra said...

Nice dickey. I know what you mean but I didn't know they had a name, lol.

Suztats said...

I have fond memories of nice, warm dickeys....and yours looks nice and thick, and soft.
Terrific buy on the yarn.

ladyhawthorne said...

I thought about a sweater but I don't have enough of the yarn to do that, only about 1/2 what a sweater would take.

ladyhawthorne said...

Except that I seem to be spending more time on my Dad's projects than mine, I'm settling very well, lol. We cleaned out one of his two sheds yesterday and I showed him how to get rid of big stuff you are too tired to move. You walk over to where your neighbor is mowing and ask if he needs any of it and he carts it all away for you! We still took a pick up load to Goodwill.

Judy S. said...

That looks nice and warm! You really did score on the yarn. Good job. BTW, it looks like you're really destined to be a knitter......

cq4fun said...

I love the color! I'm so impressed that you can change things around so quickly. Knitting obviously fits your brain. Lucky you! Nothing around here is ever that cheap. People seem to think that things are worth a lot more than most of us want to spend in the thrift store!