October 29, 2013

Suz: Stitching as October Ends

There has been stitching, and some knitting.
First, my October block is almost done: just one little seam to finish.....on the lower left.  I also added
some rolled and french knotted ribbon.



















A project I've been working on for the past 2 weeks is a StitchMAP challenge. We were to take a dozen 3" or 4" squares and embellish each with one of 12 stitches. Then, we were to transform the squares into a project.

This photo shows my squares stitched, laced, and with a backing. Two layers of batting sit between the fabric layers, and I have the last seam on the left to complete,  then a bit of quilting to join the layers together.

This quilted mat will be a gift for a friend, so there may be some added embellishing, too.




Here's the back:

My friend loves the colour blue!














I've tatted some tiny thread into this organic form, and I might just use it on another project I've begun with the fabric shown.
I think the colours match quite well, and
the tat is ~ 1"x 1.5"

Now, that's really thin thread!
Also on my needles is this blanket. I started one last year for our son as a Christmas gift, but it wasn't finished in time..........gee, how'd THAT happen?...lol

I tinked it 2 weeks ago, and I've begun a new blanket with cables......sheesh, it's the first time I've ever done cables........( I think I may need to get my head examined!)

You can see some of the cables adding interest to the plain green.

The pattern is a 22 row repeat, and I've now done 25 rows...........it measures 10" long so far...........got a ways to go yet......sigh......

How many more weeks until Christmas?




That's it for this week. I hope to return to my wrapping cloth piece #9 during the next few days..........

Hope you've had some nice creative time, too. Thanks for looking.
Hugs from Suz
 

11 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Doesn't look to me like you are struggling at all with those cables! Beautiful shade of green yarn too.

cq4fun said...

The knitting looks good to me. I don't understand the lingo, but it looks good! StitchMAP piece looks good, too, but the October block is the best of all.

Cyra said...

A stitchingly creative week for you Suz. I admire all your wonderful projects. Love the blues project.
I am still trying to find time to learn tatting. I did have a go about two weeks ago, but I didn't get it right. I must concentrate more while following instructions haha.

Suztats said...

As long as I don't lose my place.....I think I'm okay......but, never having done cables before, I wasn't sure how they were supposed to look.....it's not as defined as the photo, but that could be because I'm a 'loose' knitter...maybe? Might be able to tell once I get more length on the needles.....

Suztats said...

Thanks, I do have lots of fun with the CQJP blocks.

Suztats said...

Haha, I know what you mean! Sometimes I read instructions, and think I know what I've just read, only to find out later I didn't. one of those WWIT moments. Thanks.

Debra Spincic said...

I'm a loose knitter too; might be a little too loose, I think. But, that has to be better than forcing the stitches off the needles.

Barbara C said...

You've been very productive this week. That blanket will be gorgeous. Hopefully it's cold where you are and the project can double as a lap warmer.

Suztats said...

The lows for the nights are down around freezing right now, and winter hasn't even begun! brrrrr. I do like the warmth of the knitted blanket on my lap (overtop of another blanket....lol...I really feel the cold, but I don't like too much heat, either) I've been making some progress.....

Judy S. said...

Love all your projects, Suz. Your friend is going to be thrilled with your StitchMap piece! It's wonderful.

Suztats said...

Thanks Judy! I hope she loves it!