October 29, 2013

Susan: September Reveal and October Bare

September was finished on Friday afternoon. Here are the last two seams. The first one was inspired by Carole Samples. Inside the front cover, there's a color stitched frontispiece. One of the designs had this element in it, only straight and ... well, different. LOL I set them on angle (thank you Success Strips!) and just embellished the ends. I *really* like this!


This is the last one. Truthfully, I hate cretan stitches. You might have heard that from me before. I think it's the ugliest, most boring stitch in the universe. However, to prove that I CAN do it, and it isn't just sour grapes, I toss one in every once in a while. I think there was just one in the entire Flower Fairies top, and this makes just one in the War Posters blocks. Again, I used my Success Strips for spacing, and it made it SO cinchy to get it even. I chose smaller ones than I usually do, just to see how it would look. Then I looked at all the cretans from TAST last year, and saw something totally different from this, but that inspired me to put those straight stitches in at all angles. It actually goes up and down on the block.


Here's the whole block finished.


This is the bare October block, which I've started stitching. Pictures next week.


One of the seams on September looked like this on the back:


The red part, top or bottom, not both, is going to become a seam on the October block. I liked the way it looked!

10 comments:

cq4fun said...

Darn! I scheduled it right, then changed something, and it saved it as a draft. I will NEVER get Blogspot straight. =P

Suztats said...

Great seams, Susan, and I like the one on the backside, too! I've never seen the cretan look so good!

Debra Spincic said...

We all have our Achilles Heel in embroidery!

I really like those dramatic snake stitches in blue.

cq4fun said...

Thanks! I am looking forward to playing with that back side idea. =)

cq4fun said...

Thanks! I don't consider it an Achilles heel because I can do it, so it isn't a weakness. I just think it's the ugliest stitch ever invented, so I don't do it often. Maybe in your mind that makes it a weakness. =)

Cyra said...

I really love ALL the fabrics in these two blocks. Such a great choice. I would find it hard to find that many fabrics in one particular colour scheme in my own stash. But that's ok, as I would have to go fabric shopping, haha, (I feel a mono-colour quilt happening soon, just so I can go fabric shopping).

I agree with you that stitching the Cretan stitch is a bit Blah! Not one of my favourites to stitch either, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

cq4fun said...

There are a couple of areas where my stash runneth over, and red/white/blue is one. The other is civil war. We won't even talk about that. =) I look forward to a time when you are making a mono-color quilt because I've thought about doing it, and can never pull it off. I always get distracted and add in something else that would look SO good. LOL

Barbara C said...

There's great movement in your September block, beautiful stitching, even the "ugly" stitch.

cq4fun said...

Thanks, Barbara! Now I don't have to stitch another one until next October!

Judy S. said...

Looks great to me, Susan. You sure can't tell that you don't like the Cretan stitch! I just can't wait till the whole thing is put together. It's going to be wonderful.