October 1, 2013

Debra: Scarf Knitting

I'm probably at the halfway point with the Basket Weave scarf.  I didn't have a real plan when I started this other than to see how the pattern stitched (it grew out of a swatch).  Because of that, it's a bit wide.  I may fold it in half and seam the side edge.
I'm not fond of the side edges.  I much prefer the nice clean edge I had on the afghan.  I'll need to keep that in mind when I do another loosely knit pattern like this one. 

I used what I had of the one pink base yarn & have started a new yarn.  It's just a tad darker.  This whole scrap approach to knitting is very interesting (to me).

I've started knitting a 2nd scarf with a simple stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl the next row).  I started by using what "red" yarns I had for the stripes but then quickly realized I would never have enough for a long scarf.  Yesterday I found a nice variegated yarn at Hobby Lobby.  It begins at the very dark stripe.  I can certainly understand why people buy variegated yard; it makes knitting stripes a breeze!



This is rolling like crazy!  I need to learn a little more about measuring cast-ons for width.  This was supposed to be 8" but is now 16" so I will fold it and seam the sides on it too.  Nice way to hide the tails!

I anticipate donating both of these scarves.  I just recently discovered the Red Scarf Project; knitting for college students who have graduated from the foster care system. 
 

7 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice scarves! There are lots of charity knitting projects, just like there are for quilting. Right now I'm going to make a couple of hats for the Purple Crying (Shaken Baby) campaign that happens each October. A couple of suggestions for future scarves: stockinette always curls and a narrow garter stitch or ribbing border will help prevent that. (Sometimes you will see a pattern with a curled edge on purpose or hats with rolled edge. On my current green sweater the edge is a garter stitch but the first stitch of the knit row is slipped and the second row is all knit. It makes a very well defined edge, something I am going to try to remember. I agree with you about striping yarn; there is some that even looks like fair isle. BTW have you ever read Language of Flowers? The main character has aged out of foster care and the novel provides lots of insight into the issues.

Debra Spincic said...

Good hints Judy. As I mature in my knitting, I am sure to learn some tricks to try. Just like embroidery, I need my stash of hints. Right now I am still very much in "trial and error" mode.

I haven't read a book in years. I know that sounds bad but I just haven't thought to pick one up. Picking up a needle is easier!

Cyra said...

I really like these two scarves Debra. Great organisation to donate them to.
Trial, error and practice are where I'm at with knitting.

Suztats said...

Loving the colours in both your scarves, and I do agree about variegated yarn ( and thread, and fabric!)
You can do a tatting cast on that won't curl, or a two-handed, long- tail cast on that makes for a very nice edge. I'll be happy to share info if you'd like.

Debra Spincic said...

I do know how to knit the long tail cast on but didn't think to use it for this scarf.

ladyhawthorne said...

You sound like me, I just jump in and go, not much planning for most projects. They look great and very warm.

cq4fun said...

They both look good to me. I know with crochet, I sometimes slip stitch around all the edges to make it uniform. Can you do that with knitting?