October 15, 2013

Barbara's Vintage Embroidery


I've long been a fan of the Flickr site Hoop Love, a treasure trove of vintage embroidery motifs.  Some of the designs can also be found on Pinterest.



I found a couple of designs I liked, enlarged them to 8 x 10, and traced one onto water soluble stabilizer. 


 I've done this before, but this time I used a gel pen, which took forever to dry and which transferred ink to the needle when I stitched.  Next time I'll use a Sharpie or Pigma pen and hope for better results.  I prefer to use this method over a transfer pencil, because I feel like I get a clearer image of the design.



You can see here where I machine stitched the stabilizer to the top of a cotton dish towel.  This work goes fast: big stitches with 6 strands of floss makes for a bold design. 



Next I'll rinse the stabilizer out, wash and iron the towel.   It will add some cheer to my kitchen.

12 comments:

Cyra said...

Truly delightful.

ladyhawthorne said...

I just love the ladies! They are so pretty and your color choices are wonderful.

Suztats said...

I like the bold design, and your colours. It would brighten any room.

Debra Spincic said...

Hope you aren't planning to use those towels.

Barbara C said...

Probably not if they require ironing. Ironing is my least favorite chore.

cq4fun said...

What wonderful designs! Thanks for the link. I thought I'd found every embroidery site there is, and here's a new one! I'll be passing that along next week. =)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love them. I'm going to visit that site, too!

Judy S. said...

Great towels but too pretty to use! Thanks for the link from me, too!

Victoria Hannah said...

Such kind of embroidery produced with the help of technology is called as digitizer embroidery.

Jenifer Jackson said...

Oh my, what an amazing chance for one of your very special creations. It would make my year to be lucky enough to have a one of your fantastic embroideries and it would have pride of place in my house. Whoever wins will be one lucky person!!!! Good luck everyone.

Jahanzaib Murtaza said...

It looks amazing, I am crazy about this blog and it works. Really its so good and i am very thankful to you. In very informative and useful for me. Thanks for share.

Nikki Bee said...

Your blog is great. I would love to talk about this topic whole day..I shared it with my valuable friends. I like the way you are managing , I will be in touch . . .