October 29, 2013

Barbara's Baby Quilt Factory


Debra asked for baby quilt tops to donate to a program that allows incarcerated women to keep their infants with them.  I was very interested in supporting these women and their children, and the idea of making a few baby quilts appealed to me.

I spent a very pleasant Sunday afternoon whipping out these tops.  The pink and green one was from a set of blocks I had made with an eye toward a larger quilt.  What a relief to make one more pink block, put on a border and be done!


This quilt's center is a pre-printed panel left over from another  project.  I added two borders, the outside one being from The Fabric That Would Never Die.  Debra sent me a bunch of this blue tropical fabric years ago for some charity quilt project, and she sewed up a bunch of it too, and yes, there's still some in my stash.


The blue and yellow fabric in this quilt is flannel, and the novelty fabric is regular cotton.


Here I used another novelty panel, added a border, and voila.

This has been so satisfying, I think I'll make more until Debra tells me to stop.  I may also stash a few of these for gifts.  If I want to finish a big quilt, I'll trick myself by breaking it into baby quilt-sized units.

12 comments:

cq4fun said...

Sounds like a good trick! These are great, and I laughed at the fabric that would never die!

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, and Debra recognizes more than just the Fabric that will never die! That was a deal at $1/yd so I bought something like 12 yards! It has gone into a lot of quilts. A lot!

I am thrilled with all of the tops! Glad they jumpstarted your quilt enthusiasm.

Suztats said...

These all are wonderful quilt tops, and I really like the pink and green one....and the blue and yellow seaside one! Wow, all in one afternoon?!

Cyra said...

What a treat to see so many finished quilt tops (and lovely ones at that) in one post.
My! you have been busy Barbara.

Barbara C said...

I think when I get to the end of that fabric, I'll have to frame the last bit for posterity.

Barbara C said...

I'm sure you recognize more of those fabrics in the pink and green quilt. What a stroll down memory lane.

Barbara C said...

These went pretty fast since I had blocks and pre-printed panels stashed. It was still fun to whip out so many.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Cy, maybe I've gotten my quilt mojo back.

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Debra Spincic said...

I do indeed. I am hoping with this next major push of quilts that I clear some more of those fabrics out of the stash. To say I am sick of them is an understatement. I want to sew with some of the new prints.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

So cute! What a whiz you are!

Judy S. said...

Looks to me like your quilt mojo is definitely back! You sure have been busy making pretty quilts!