September 24, 2013

Deborah: UFOs and 9 Patches

This weekend I uncovered a UFO I'd forgotten about. This was a swap I did in 1997. There's no denying it because the date is written on almost all of the blocks. I slapped a couple of borders on it and now it's just a matter of quilting. It's small enough that I can do it on my machine if I keep it simple.

I also started putting 9 patch blocks together with the goal of getting a couple of tops done for Debra in the next few weeks. 

THEN: I found an old magazine yesterday with a great quilt pattern that will make up quickly and of course I could not resist cutting out blocks for it. I don't have a picture yet but next week I should.

I'm happy to feel productive again. I ask myself that question almost every day on the way home from work: What did I accomplish today? Usually I feel pretty good about my days. I don't waste time and I stay focused. At the end of the fiscal year, it can get pretty intense, making sure our budget is okay, and we've done what needs to be done.  

In a couple of weeks, we (the family - my girls, husband, brothers, and sister-in-law) are taking a road trip to the north Georgia mountains, in early October. The leaves should be gorgeous!





15 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I certainly like the old fashioned looking 9 patch blocks. Those will be a great looking quilt.
Unless you are just determined to quilt your leaf top yourself, pop it in the envelope with the other tops and I'll quilt it.

cq4fun said...

Does that "north Georgia" bring you over toward the Smoky Mountains? I'm not that far! Just sayin'. Love the leaf quilt. That was a very popular pattern in the late nineties, and I'll bet I have a few lying around somewhere, too.

Suztats said...

I like your leaf quilt! It's so nice to feel that one has accomplished something positive at the end of the day.....

ladyhawthorne said...

Perfect time of year for a leaf quilt! I really like 9 patch blocks too, its the vintage appeal for me.

Cyra said...

I love how you created interest in the leaf quilt by making all the leaf stems go in different directions.
Gorgeous fabrics in the 9-patches.
That is a 'quality-family-time' holiday organized for October.

Judy S. said...

Great UFO find for fall! It sure is pretty. Sounds like a great family trip. Summer sure went by fast, didn't it?

Barbara C said...

Both projects are beautiful. I've always loved leaf quilts, but I've never made one.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

We won't be getting up that far this time, unfortunately. But I was just up in Bryson City and Highlands a few weeks ago. Wish I'd known!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You don't have to offer twice! Motivation for getting the tops done !

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Almost all those fabrics were from Debra. I love the purple.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

No kidding. September just flew by. Scary. But, I love the fall and was really thrilled to find that little top. It'll look great in my office. Prettysoon the walls in there are going to be covered in quilts.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Not my favorite pattern to make, but they are pretty.

Debra Spincic said...

I can put you in the same club as Barbara! We have an agreement--she pieces a top for my charity purposes, I quilt a top for her. It's been working out fine for years. She is, however, easy to please with simple quilting designs.

Debra Spincic said...

You say that like it's a bad thing! LOL!

Debra Spincic said...

I made a leaf quilt back in the day too. I was really proud of it at the time. Maybe I should get it out and enjoy it this fall.