September 3, 2013

Deborah: September Already?

I had a fairly productive long Labor Day weekend doing yard work, knitting,fabric shopping and organizing.  Evidence:

This is a very easy but lovely stitch I found on a stitch a day calendar. The yarn is bamboo and it is incredibly soft. My sister in law bought it at the Southeastern Fiber Festival in Asheville, NC a few years ago. I'm just getting around to knitting the scarf for her. Isn't that typical?  Good thing yarn and fabric do not have expiration dates.

Magazines and books. Just the beginning of a huge task.

Fabric. I needed more neutral-ish colors and could not resist the blue. I could have bought ten times this much. 

I hope you all enjoyed your Labor Day. We had barbecued chicken, burgers, etc. A nice quiet family dinner. 
So back to the grind today. I enjoy my job but I do not enjoy the process of getting there. 
I also snagged some hiking boots on Ebay for a fraction of the retail cost. My daughter and I are going hiking on Thursday to Kennesaw Mountain. We were inspired by our trip to North Carolina. 


16 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

What's the name of your stitch? I have a Stitch a Day Calendar and it may also be in it. Looks like a good stitch to know.

ladyhawthorne said...

Very nice scarf and I love the color, my favorite!

Judy S. said...

Nice scarf! That looks like ribbon yarn? Bamboo makes a nice fiber, IMHO. Great fabrics, too!

cq4fun said...

Looks like you had a good holiday weekend. I like that scarf pattern, and the fabrics.

Cyra said...

Love the scarf. I'm sure your sister will be happy with it when you finish it. Better late than never.

Nice fabric addition. I love that blue too. I always have an impulse buy even when I have a list of exactly what I want to buy. It never hurts to come home with extra fabric.

Deb said...

Debra, mine is the "36t Knitting Stitches a Year" perpetual calendar. The stitch is Eyelets.

Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl.
Row 3: k2, *YO, K2tog, k1; rep from * to end.
Row 4: purl.

Multiple of 3 + 2.

Debra Spincic said...

That's the calendar I have--Jan 11.

My afghan stitch is Hunter's Stitch, Dec 6

We should knit something from this calendar next year as a challenge (maybe blocks)--I love that everything is set up on multiples.

Debra Spincic said...

I bet your husband agrees with you fully!

Cyra said...

Lol, He thinks I buy a lot of tablecloths. I wonder who told him that?

Barbara C said...

Oh, that's a good one: tablecloths! Great scarf, and the stitch look beautiful in that yarn.

Deborah McLaughlin said...


that would be fun, I thought about doing that.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

It's ribbon-ish but very narrow. I'll post a close up later.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

My stash was getting low. LOL! Red Hen Quilt Shop has a "back room" where they put their sale bolts. They're normally $5.99 which these days is pretty cheap but this weekend they were $3.99. I'd rather have Debra's luck in finding fabric at Goodwill and thrift stores but not around here. As soon as I got home & took it out I regretted that I hadn't bought more!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Cy - she's forgotten all about the yarn she bought at that show. :-)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Thanks - it's simple enought that I can work on it while watching TV. It's my night time project.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes, I love the shade of purple. It came in a kit with a beautiful scarf pin.