September 10, 2013

Cy ~ That Eureka Moment

The White Wrap/Shawl is progressing along nicely now.
I have a lot of scrumbles joined together and it is really starting to take shape.

Lots of lovely texture...... I love texture.
Some lacy delicate dainty parts.
Waves ruffles bobbles and fluffles.

More photos of the shawl on my blog


________________________________________________________

 THAT   EUREKA   MOMENT 

Yes, I have had a 'moment' of that description this week.
I have learnt to knit.
I am able to knit.
I CAN KNIT

All my life I have admired knitters but never been able to master it myself. My mother tried teaching me, my school teacher tried teaching me, various friends over the years have tried teaching me. I even had a 98 years young lady try to teach me.
I couldn't understand how to cast on, and even when someone else did the casting on for me, I still couldn't get the knitting bit right.
I could never get the hang of it and gave up trying in the end. 
I was Doomed to call myself a NON-KNITTER for ever.
Until last week that is.

I have been so inspired by the creative knitters here on Tuesday Stitchers:
Debra
Deborah
Judy
and
Barbara
I spent two whole days watching youtube video's on how to knit.
I've lost count of how many video's I watched, but it was definitely A LOT.
It helped to see lots of different ways that people knit.
And NOW, just look what I can do...... I CAN KNIT......

A tentative start after the cast-on.

Still a bit unsure at this early stage.

 The ribbing starts to appear.

I lost half a row of stitches about half way up this ribbing, and although I managed to recover the loops without dropping a stitch, I think I put the loops back onto the needle the wrong way around, hence the midway 'bumps' along that row.

Oh yes, I think I've got the hang of the ribbing now, so I tried a different stitch.
Hah! So that is how stocking stitch is made, lol. It's all becoming clear now.

More rows dropped, damn it's annoying when I do that.
More care needed, but at least I managed to pick up the loops the right way around this time.

WooHooo look at me go.

I CAN KNIT 
excuse me while I shout louder
I CAN KNIT

That was my eureka moment.
Can you tell I'm excited about being able to knit. 
I'm sure my mother is looking down on me at this moment with a big smile on her face.
Perseverance, see, that's all it needed.
____________________________________________

Lessons learnt this week

  • You can teach an old dog new tricks
  • If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again
  • It doesn't matter if I knit slow and clumsy, as Iong as I DO it somehow
  • Slippery needles are, well....... slippery (duh!)
  • If it doesn't work one way, try it another
  • Check each row for mistakes before moving on
  • Big Boobs and a deep cleavage make a great needle grabber in emergencies
  • Knitting takes about 30% LESS wool than crochet
  • Relax and enjoy the ride



9 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Now I understand why my needles slip so effortlessly to the floor. LOL!

Girlfriend, YOU CAN KNIT!

Do I see a sleeve there?

Cyra said...

Lol.
No its not a sleeve. Just a straight practice piece.

Debra Spincic said...

Well, it could be!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Look at you ! I had to teach myself to knit. Nobody in the family had ever picked up knitting needles, had never even tried. They could sew, embroider, and crochet like crazy but NOT KNIT. I like to use bamboo needles. Not so slippery.

I'm impressed! You'll be knitting circles around the rest of us.

ladyhawthorne said...

That's fantastic! Gives me hope maybe I can learn to crochet one day.

Suztats said...

Hey, you! Well done! Yay!
I taught myself to knit when I was laid up with a broken ankle.......there was a step-by-step in a magazine.....hmmm, never did finish that sweater.....seems I thought I was above doing the guage test.......is that why my sweater looked like it would fit 'Barney'?...lol....
I prefer the bamboo needles, too. I like to knit during the winter, and those metal ones get cold!
Off to check your blog post.....

Barbara C said...

Hurrah for you! Your knitting looks fab. It's great to learn new things, and YouTube is a great resource. With the skills you've mastered so far, you can knit a number of great things.

Judy S. said...

Yay, another knitter! Sounds like you've caught on pretty fast. Knit on, and keep working on that cool crochet piece. It's awesome.

cq4fun said...

LOL! Well yours certainly looks good. I'll never be a knitter, but I appreciate what others do.