September 17, 2013

Cy ~ Embracing the Knitting

I am taking my new knitting skills and running with it, and having such fun.

Here is my baby blanket WIP.
A friend is about to give birth to a boy (any moment now), so this is for them.
I call it Baby Building Blocks, and I have 'built' up three blocks high so far.
It is eight blocks wide and should end up at least 10 - 12 blocks long. 
I am not following a pattern for this, but I am confident enough to produce my own pattern for this blanket. I love things that are my own design. I'm sure someone else has probably already written this pattern down somewhere, but for me (as a very new knitter) it was fun to design it myself.
Size in inches is approx 24" wide. 
I'll keep going either until I run out of wool, or Hayley has her baby boy, whichever comes first.




Happy Stitching

18 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Are those blocks all knitted together?

It's very cool! It is really just about the same as the basket weave I have started except on a much larger scale.

Looks very masculine too.

ladyhawthorne said...

I thought basketweave as well. Excellent!

Cyra said...

Yes all one piece. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You are going to town! Looks great!

Barbara C said...

Great pattern, I love the stripes.

Suztats said...

Oh, this is really nice, and perfect for a little boy! I like your design. Way to go on the knitting!

Debra Spincic said...

you got it girl!

Judy S. said...

Great idea to use self striping yarn. I've never seen basket weave done like that and it's great! You are a quick study!

Cyra said...

Thanks Angela. It's a large scale basket weave look.

Cyra said...

Thoroughly enjoying my new craft :-)

Cyra said...

The yarn has lovely variegated colours. An easy way to add colour without having lots of tails to weave in at the end. Keep it simple :-)

Cyra said...

Thanks Suz. The new parents this is going to will appreciate traditional pastel blues for a baby boy.

Cyra said...

Thanks Judy. I was thinking I should write up this pattern and put it on Ravelry for other "beginner's" to use.

Debra Spincic said...

You knit over the tails as you change colors so you don't have to weave them in at the end. At least, that is what I do & so far, the tails have blended in smoothly.

Cyra said...

Thanks for that info Debra. I still have a bit to learn yet about knitting so I shall 'play' more on my next knitting project.

Debra Spincic said...

It's the same as crocheting over the tails--you do that, right?

Cyra said...

Yes I do that. I'll just have to experiment and see how it works on knitting.

How good (as in 'professional') is it to carry the yarn across the back while knitting blocks of different colours?

Debra Spincic said...

Barbara or Judy need to answer this question.

I know with Fair Isle, the yarn is carried across the back.
I also know that Barbara did some kind of yarn carrying with the shawl she just posted.

This is when I wish blogger had that name link like on Facebook.