September 24, 2013

Barbara's Dishtowels


I bought these cool papel picado machine embroidery transfers from Debra  I thought they'd make cute dishtowel embellishments.  I jazzed up this set with rick rack.


This one got double layers of rick rack.


I made a more sedate set with the last set of towels.  I machine sewed the buttons, I'm not sure it's much faster than hand sewing, but you get nice uniform results.  Tip:  use scotch tape to hold the button in place while you stitch it.


I'm keeping the rest of the motifs for myself.  They'll be perfect for a little art quilt.  Maybe something for the Day of the Dead.

12 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I just love these designs, and the red is wonderful. Cute idea to attach them to dishtowels!

Cyra said...

Dare I say it... decorated dish towels are an American 'thing'. .. but I do like yours with the red skulls embroidery.

Debra Spincic said...

You need to check your monitor for colors. The skulls are very orange!

Debra Spincic said...

Aaaargh, orange skulls!

Debra Spincic said...

I'll be waiting to see your art quilt. Might inspire me!

cq4fun said...

Cute towels! I'll look forward to seeing the art quilt, too. Dia de los Muertos sounds perfect for them!

Judy S. said...

Those dish towels might even make washing the dishes fun!

Cyra said...

They are red on my android :-p
and I dont think I can change the smartphone colour settings.
I'll check again next time I go back on the pc.

Barbara C said...

I never realized that decorated dishtowels are an American thing. They're sometimes not very practical, but there's a whole industry of embroidery transfers from the mid 1900s so women could gussy up their towels. A traditional favorite were "days of the week" towels, decorated in sets of seven.

Cyra said...

I remember the 'craze' got to the UK before I left. But that was mostly American style cross-stitch patterns for dishtowels (or teacloths as we call them, lol). Not seen any of them in NZ yet... maybe there is a market for decorated teacloths just waiting for someone to introduce it.

Suztats said...

Nice dish towels! Looking forward to seeing the art quilt, too.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Very cute!