August 6, 2013

Barbara's Thrifty Deals


I had a good run at the thrift stores recently.  I picked up this Aunt Martha quilt booklet to add to my collection of vintage ephemera.


Among the patterns are these cute appliques.


On the same trip, I found this 1923 crocheted lace booklet.


Some of the illustrations are pretty corny.


This cross-stitched doily has a nice blank space in the middle for a transfer.


The deal of the day was that I got this double bed 95% embroidered quilt top from a Paragon kit.  I have a minor obsession with embroidered quilt kits.  This one is made up of three printed panels in the Baltimore album style.


There's only one stain, between the second and third motifs on the bottom, and the embroidery is very well executed.


The embroidery is complete except for the places where the patterns meet,


...and this one piece of border.  This top was $1.89.  There was another kit, maybe 10% embroidered, in browns and golds, and they wanted MORE for that one.  I think I got the better deal.  A few more stitches and the top will be completed. 

10 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Wow! That was a great deal! Good thing I wasn't there I might have had to fight you for it!

Suztats said...

Oh, Fabulous Find! This is a wonderful quilt top! $1.89??? Can I come shopping with you sometime, please? lol You obviously know the good spots.

Cyra said...

What a great bargain. You certainly have a good eye for textile treasures.

Judy S. said...

You sure had a good shopping trip! You are going to finish the quilt? What a bargain!

Barbara C said...

We would've had a fierce tug of war. :-)

Barbara C said...

This trip was pure luck. 98% of the time I come away with much less appealing stuff.

Barbara C said...

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that quilt top. It's quite a find.

Barbara C said...

I do plan to finish this quilt. I'm looking forward to taking a section to the store to buy the floss to finish it.

Debra Spincic said...

Dang, Girlfriend!

(that's all I'm going to say . . . !)

Jeanne said...

You had a very successful day! The quilt panels are wonderful.