August 20, 2013

Barbara's End of Summer Projects


I was so excited about the color play possibilities (and the acrylic stash eating potential) of my zig zag baby afghan, that I decided to hook up another one right away.  I pulled all the blues, yellows, oranges and whites from my acrylic stash and set out to make a lap blanket.  Or maybe it'll be another baby blanket that I'll put aside for the next baby that crosses my path.  It doesn't matter, because I'm just thinking about the next row and what colors might come next.

This color scheme is appropriate: these are calm sea colors to meditate on as I restart the school year.  Classes start next Monday, so I'm gearing myself up for yet another year.


After I started the afghan, I sidetracked myself with some knitted mittens for an Afghans for Afghans campaign that's winding up.


These were all free patterns from Ravelry:   Marlene's Mittens by Alaina Privette,


Matrix by Kerry Palm, made in the child's size.


and Midwestern Mittens, Extra Chunky by Lion Brand Yarn, which makes up so fast they're like potato chips: you can't knit just one (pair).  The green-blue ones are made with one strand of worsted wool and one strand of vintage mohair held together, which makes for a very warm pair of mitts.

This has been a wonderful summer, but like all the others, it's ended much too quickly.  I always feel like I could use another month off.  Oh well, there's next summer to look forward to.

10 comments:

Cyra said...

I wonder what the collective noun is for a lot of mittens, lol.... a Hug of mittens, perhaps?
Lovely new afghan. Great colours too, it does look like the ripples and waves of the sea.

Judy S. said...

You've been very productive! Love that afghan...I've got the pattern printed off but am holding back to finish some other UFOs first. Nice work on the mittens also! Enjoy the coming weekend! Can't believe summer is almost gone.

ladyhawthorne said...

Wow you have been very busy. I love the color of those green blue mittens, too bad they are not my size!

Barbara C said...

I like that...a hug of mittens.

Suztats said...

You're knitting so quickly! Love the mitts--they remind me of ones my Mom used to knit for me when I was small. The colours are really nice, and I like the pattern of your afghan.

Debra Spincic said...

hmmm, maybe I should try mittens for all the little scraps of wool yarn.

Debra Spincic said...

Forgot to say--your afghan looks like my house colors! Love!

cq4fun said...

What a lot of lovely mittens! The afghan looks great. I like your project plans.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I have started a pair of fingerless gloves, among my many UFOs involving fabric and yarn. And I LOVE the ripple afghan. I remember sitting around on Saturday nights with Mom and her sisters, crocheting those. I still have an orange, brown,and white one which I crocheted using wool yarn. Then somebody washed & dried it, so now it's felted. I could use it as a rug, I guess! :-) But I will never get rid of it. Your colors are really pretty!

Debra Spincic said...

Or a super wonderful felted tote bag . . .