July 3, 2013

Deborah--Somehow I Lost An Entire Day



It's July already? Where is this year going?
Binge watching Man Men and cutting out 5" charms for 9 patches. 
That's about it.

I'm taking off work Thursday through Monday, Thursday being a holiday. I have lots of sewing and yard work to do. The weather is supposed to be horrible Thursday and Friday; if that's the case, those will be my sewing days. I hope it clears over the weekend, since I bought a truck load of mulch and pea gravel this past weekend. 

Also uncovered another project:

Very old fashioned Sunbonnet Sue made by my mother, probably 20 years ago. No one every quilted it for her. It's going to require some additional work, maybe blanket stitch around the appliqued pieces, so this is long term. Debra suggested dividing it so both girls would have a quilt made by their grandmother, which I think is a good idea, and would make it more interesting.







11 comments:

Suztats said...

Oh, yes, Sunbonnet Sue! I think it would be great for each girl to have a part of their Grandmother's quilt. That will be a lot of blanket stitching!

Debra Spincic said...

I also think that since it is not hand stitched now & you are going to machine quilt it, you could probably machine buttonhole stitch it. I don't know about your machine, but some of the new machines really have nice buttonhole stitches. I think you can also use heavier threads for the "heirloom" look.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I do have a blanket stitch but it points to the left instead of the right. Last time I tried it I got very confused. ;-)

Debra Spincic said...

Isn't it supposed to point to the left?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

It seems that on my other machine the stitches went to the right which was easier somehow but I could be wrong, who knows.

cq4fun said...

Maybe there's another decorative stitch that would be easier to try? You could take a piece of muslin, or fuse two together would be better, draw the Sue outline several times and practice stitching it before you stitch the actual Sues. Great find! I'm on an Alias binge.

ladyhawthorne said...

Sounds like a lot of folks are having a 4 day weekend. I could get used to that! Great idea to share the sunbonnet Sue quilt top between the girls, what a lovely thing to have.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I just need to practice. The end result is the same.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I am supposedly off on Monday too but I'm thinking I'll go in to work after all. I had a lot planned to do around the house this weekend but it is very gloomy and rainy today - butI'm not complaining about the rain! - and supposedly will rain tomorrow. Good sewing weather, however!

Judy S. said...

What a great idea to split the quilt! I think someone has put the calendar on fast-forward! LOL

Cyra said...

A beautiful sunbonnet Sue quilt. What a treasure. Both girls would be fortunate to have a quilt each.